Tuesday 5 February 2019

Book Review - The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Silent Patient
Author: Alex Michaelides
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Publisher supplied copy
Publisher: Orion
Publication Date: 7th February 2019 
Rating: 5 Stars


ALICIA
Alicia Berenson writes a diary as a release, an outlet - and to prove to her beloved husband that everything is fine. She can't bear the thought of worrying Gabriel, or causing him pain.

Until, late one evening, Alicia shoots Gabriel five times and then never speaks another word.

THEO
Forensic psychotherapist Theo Faber is convinced he can successfully treat Alicia, where all others have failed. Obsessed with investigating her crime, his discoveries suggest Alicia's silence goes far deeper than he first thought.

And if she speaks, would he want to hear the truth?

My mind is blown! I can't think straight,  wow I did not see that coming.  What an absolutely addictive and compulsive book, has hooked from the first few pages and read it in two sittings, and that was only because I was too tired to read it into the early hours of the morning. 

In fact I read the last 150 pages in about an hour, I was so absorbed I knew mum was talking at me but I have absolutely no clue what she was saying, so hopefully it wasn't too important. 

It may be quite early in the year, but surely this has to be one of the best books of 2019 and I have no idea how whatever I read next will compare. 

Absolutely fascinating have a main character that won't speak, but we do see flashes of her diary.  Most of the story is told from the point of view of Theo, the new psychotherapist at The Grove who is determined that he can help Alicia recover from murdering her husband. 

I am astounded to hear that this is a debut novel - based on that I suspect that Alex Michaelides is going to have a long and successful future as an author.  

I can't really talk about the plot as I'm fearful of spoilers, but if the blurb has even partially intrigued you its definitely worth a read.  This is a book that was staring at me on my bookcase until I realised I just needed to start reading it.  

I'm sure I'm not making any sense, just trust me this book is just so good, I can't really explain it, but it got under my skin, I forgot that real life was happening around me, and I just had to keep reading to discover whether Alicia would ever speak again.  

Spectacularly clever, there were moments towards the end where I was mouthing omg, and wondering if I had missed any obvious clues - was almost tempted to re-read everything to that point just to see if I had, but keep moving forward with it, and all I can say really is wow-wee - what a book! 

Thank you to Poppy Stimson from Orion, for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...