Thursday 5 March 2020

Book Review - The Paper Wasp by Lauren Acampora - #HolidayReading Madeira

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Paper Wasp
Author: Lauren Acampora
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Quercus / riverrrun
Publication Date: 5th March 2020
Rating: 4 Stars

An electrifying debut novel of two women's friendship, a haunting obsession and twisted ambition, set against the feverish backdrop of contemporary Hollywood.

Abby Graven is a dreamer. She dreams her way through her small, lonely life - hiding back at her parents, working at the grocery store. At night, she collects tabloid clippings that taunt her with Elise - her best friend, now Hollywood's hot new starlet.

When a school reunion throws Elise in her path, Abby seizes her chance. With feverish certainty, she boards a one-way flight to LA to become Elise's assistant and enters her gauzy realm of film sets and glamorous actors.

But behind Elise's glossy magazine veneer, she is drowning in Hollywood's vicious social cycle. Ever the devoted friend, Abby conceals her own burning desire for greatness.

For she is smarter than Elise. More talented. A true artist. And as she edges closer to her own ambitions, Abby can see only one way to make her dream come true.

Propelled by seductive, unstoppable force, The Paper Wasp slashes through the dark side of Hollywood and the treacherous intimacies of female friendship, pursuing a heroine of blazing artistic vision and blinding drive.


Now this is tricky book to review, or even describe as I'm not completely sure I understood most of the concepts being explored. 

In fact I'm positive a large amount of it went over my head, but at the same time I cant' help but admire the writing. 

It drew me in, and I found this to be a very fast read, and although I was left with many questions, I also couldn't' help but wonder just what I had read!

Abby seems like a very obsessive woman, and I do wonder about her mental state for most of the book. 

The book felt like a stream of consciousness almost, but written in a compelling way, that before you know exactly how you are half way through the book. 

There are assorted themes explored, some definitely that were beyond my ability to try to explain, but despite this I did think it was a good book, and has left me thinking. 

Thank you to Quercus for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...