Friday 6 November 2020

Book Review - A Surprise Christmas Wedding by Phillipa Ashley

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: A Surprise Christmas Wedding
Author: Phillipa Ashley
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 19th October 2020
Rating: 3 Stars

It’s been a year since Lottie’s fiancé walked out, leaving her heartbroken. But things start to look up when she lands her dream job at a beautiful Lake District estate, with a handsome groundskeeper for a neighbour.
 
So when Lottie is asked to organise a last minute Christmas wedding at Firholme, she can’t wait to get started. Until she meets the couple, and discovers that Connor, the man who broke her heart, is the groom-to-be.
 
As snow falls on the hills, can Lottie put aside her past to organise the perfect winter wedding? And will there be any festive magic left to bring Lottie the perfect Christmas she deserves?
 
Curl up with this gorgeous story about love and second chances, perfect for fans of Trisha Ashley and Milly Johnson.

A really pleasant Christmas story, that had plenty people hiding secrets from others (or downright lying), a wedding that Lottie really shouldn't be in charge of organising and Jay. 

Jay is one of the high points of this book to me, well that and his dog Trevor, his rugged good looks, his love of nature,  He isn't the biggest fan of Christmas anymore but thanks to his interactions with Lottie he starts to mellow. 

I also loved Lottie's twin nieces who are adorable, and so excited for everything to do with Christmas. And they are even almost mini match makers too.  There are some incredibly cute scenes featuring reindeer that were really lovely to see. 

However the main plot was at times confusing as to who knew what, and I just didn't seem to fully connect with the book the way I wanted.  I think in part even though there were only a couple of very small things, like a mention in passing of Zoom, that took me out of the story and had me constantly on edge for anything else that would remind me of the real world and the mess that is 2020. Which I think means I just didn't relax into the story like I should, which is a shame as I do normally love this author. 

It was a perfectly enjoyable story, but just didn't quite hit the mark for me this time around.  Although I'm sure if my concentration levels were higher and could have sat and read more at a time, I would have probably enjoyed it more.  Fairly sure it really was me and not the book. 

Thank you to Avon and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...