Thursday 17 June 2021

Book Review - The Lies We Tell by Jane Corry

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Lies We Tell
Author: Jane Corry
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Viking Books
Publication Date: 17th June 2021
Rating: 5 Stars

Sarah always thought of herself and her husband, Tom, as good people. But that was before their son Freddy came home saying he'd done something terrible. Begging them not to tell the police.

Soon Sarah and Tom must find out just how far they are willing to push themselves, and their marriage, to protect their only child . . .

As the lies build up and Sarah is presented with the perfect opportunity to get Freddy off the hook, she is faced with a terrifying decision . . .

Save her son . . . or save herself?

My head is absolutely reeling from this.  I did not see well the majority of the end section coming, while at the same time it all made complete sense. 

I perhaps should have guessed from the title that the book may be filled with lies, secrets, revelations, but I also went into it blindly not having looked at the blurb at all, just knowing I love Jane Corry's books and would be in safe hands. 

And well it only took a few chapters to be hooked, and I have spent most of the day basically ignoring the fact that it was a week day when I was reading this, with a mountain of work that should almost certainly have had my intention, and instead I just couldn't tear myself away from the story. 

It raises all sorts of questions, and if I was a mother myself maybe I'd have an answer to the main question that is raises, which is just what would you do to protect your child, even if they have said that they had done the worst thing possible. 

In the first half of the book we get a great feel for Tom and Sarah's life from both their perspectives from their first meeting, to the present day.  We see Freddy growing up, and we learn about things that both of them hidden from each other from their own pasts.   

There is just so much to get your head around in this, that all I can really say is this is Jane Corry at her twisty, compulsive best.  I just loved this book so much, it was wonderful, and I always appreciate a book that makes me forget about real life for a few hours, and transports me into it's pages.    

I can't help but think this will be playing on my mind a lot for at least the next few days, and if this is anything like some of the psychological suspense sorts of books I've read recently, may give me some rather weird and vivid dreams too! 

Thank you to Viking Books and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...