Thursday 1 July 2021

Book Review - Summer at the French Olive Grove by Sophie Claire

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Summer at the French Olive Grove
Author: Sophie Claire
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: 27th May 2021
Rating: 4 Stars

Could love be the biggest adventure of all?

Filmmaker Lily's life is all about work and adventure. So when she suffers an accident on her travels and finds herself recuperating in the quiet French seaside village where she spent her childhood, she can't wait to escape. Not least because Olivier - Lily's childhood friend and former crush, who she has spent the last thirteen years avoiding - is staying next door . . .

Strong-minded masterbaker Olivier is happily settled in St Pierre, preparing to marry and put down roots. But Lily's return to the village risks turning his carefully-laid plans upsidedown, and as the pair rediscover their familiar rivalry and fun, sparks fly.

Is Lily really as fearless and independent as she seems on the surface - or is she just running from the past? And what if Olivier is the only one who can teach her what it really means to be brave?

Gotta love a book that gets off to a dramatic start, and this really did have that.  Had me interested in the story right from the first few pages, and I was curious as to what would happen next. 

I loved the dynamics between Lily and Olivier especially when they are reminiscing about their childhood antics. But yet they are very different people, want remarkably different things from life, however there is clear chemistry between them, even if neither seem to want to notice it! 

The further we get, the more understanding I had of Lily and her motivations for her various choices. It was good to see her try to settle into life back in France while her arm recovers, and it is clear she cares for Mamie a lot. 

At a time where it felt like I had completely lost my concentration to read, the further I crept into this story the more I wanted to read and the more I was happily reading for longer, as I really cared about the characters and wanted to know how the plot would unfurl. 

At times I had tears in my eyes, such is the brilliance of the writing that I was getting rather emotional, and by the end I was smiling!  It's another incredibly enjoyable story from Sophie Claire. 

Thank you to Hodder & Stoughton and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...