Monday 15 May 2023

Book Review - The Getaway by Ross Armstrong - #HolidayReading Mexico

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Getaway
Author: Ross Armstrong
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ
Publication Date: 7th July 2022
Rating: 4 Stars

One private island. Seven guests. One killer…

The perfect holiday. The perfect murder. The perfect beach read…

Get away from your problems.
Multimillionaire Robert Rathwell and his entourage arrive at their private Greek island. White sand, turquoise water, the perfect place to relax. But this is no ordinary family, and this holiday will be their last.

Get away from your life.
The next morning, a scream shatters their peaceful world. Someone has been murdered, his body arranged to make it look like suicide. Everyone has a motive and, under the burning sun, secrets quickly simmer to the surface.

Get away with murder.
Soon the guests see a darker, more violent side to paradise. Because the Rathwells don’t just own the island; they own the people on it. And they can do whatever they like – maybe even commit murder…

Kept me guessing throughout the story, I had no idea who to believe, and there are many twists I didn't see coming at all. 

A very cleverly crafted psychological thriller, 

However, as much as I enjoyed it, I think I would have loved it more had I been reading it in paperback, just for ease of flicking back to the chapter headings to check which voice I was reading. As the three main females all felt rather similar to me in terms of their voices and I struggled to switch between them all. 

That being said I loved seeing the story unfold from multiple viewpoints, and I really wasn't sure if I actually liked any of the characters, apart from the tutor, as they all were rather unlikeable. 

I did thoroughly enjoy the setting, the private Greek Island that is remote and with very little working communications, which added an exotically claustrophobic feel to the book, as especially as the 7 that went to the island started being killed. 

It was the first book i've read from this clearly talented author and I will certainly keep an eye out for more of his work. 

Thank you to HQ and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...