Thursday, 6 August 2026

Book Review - Never To Be Found by Jo Spain

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Never To Be Found
Author: Jo Spain
Format reviewed: Ebook 
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Zaffre
Publication Date: 2nd July 2026 
Rating: 5 Stars

She helped him disappear.
She'll wish she hadn't . . .

In Japan, one hundred thousand people voluntarily disappear every year, aided by those who help them start over. They call them Johatsu - the evaporated.

I brought the idea to England. No judgement, no questions. Just new identities, packed bags, and discreet escape plans from abusive partners, debt, or simply lives that no longer fit.

I thought I was doing something good - honourable, even. Until now.

I know now that not everyone is fleeing hardship. I've helped someone who committed a crime to flee the police. I've disappeared a murderer.

And unless I find him, I don't know what he'll do next . . .

Right from the prologue when the Japanese concept of Johatsu, the evaporated, is explained , I was intrigued and hooked. Especially on discovering the main character, Veronica is someone who helps others disappear from their lives. 

But what is soon apparent is that if you need to find someone that has used your disappearing services, it is rather hard to track them down. Especially if you are informed that you have aided a double murderer to escape from the police. 

Which is exactly the situation Veronica finds herself in, which leads to a really tense read, as things start to unravel. 

It's also interesting to discover just why Veronica is in the line of work that she does, and her personal connection to it.  In the backstory chapters, we get to see and know a part of Japanese life that tends to stay rather under the radar, but is fascinating. 

There are some epic twists in this that I am kicking myself for not seeing coming, and I couldn't read this fast enough. 

Easily one of my favourite books from Jo Spain, it had me guessing, second guessing and addicted. 

Thank you to Zaffre and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...