Sunday 28 February 2016

Book Review - Each & Every One by Rachael English - Winning Reads #8

Winning Reads #8
I've picked Each & Everyone this week as it intrigued me when I won it, and then when I spotted it again in my box of unread paperbacks, I couldn't resist it for much longer. 

  This is the last Winning Reads for a few weeks, at least, as the amount of books I have promised to review is leaving me feeling like I am drowning at the moment, so need to try and feel more in control about them before I put this feature back. 


Amazon UK
Title: Each & Every One
Author: Rachael English
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Competition Win
Publisher: Orion
Publication Date: 11th September 2015 
Rating: 4 Stars


Gus and Joan worked hard to give their children everything - a comfortable home in a leafy Dublin neighbourhood, gap years that never seem to end and an open chequebook for life's little emergencies. Unfortunately, although the children have grown up, they are a little too comfortable with the well-feathered nest: now it's time to learn a few home truths.

When a twist of fate means the bank of Mum and Dad can no longer bail them out, suddenly the whole family must find out who they really are. Uncovering the secrets they all hide shows them a different side to the city they call home as they find allies in the most unlikely places.

It really took me a while to get into this story fully, and that was due to my instant dislike of most of Gus and Joan's grown up children. With the exception of Tara, who the book is mainly focused on, the others were a mix of spoiled, pompous, and in Niall's case seemed ok, but was travelling initially so hard to get to know. 

Gus and Joan have always been well off and have never had a problem funding their children's lifestyles, and then when there is an economic downturn, suddenly the children have to fend for themselves. 

However the storyline that properly kept me interested in the book, was Carmel and Ben. Tara meets Ben when she is working on a news story in the area where he lives, and his family get under Tara's skin. Carmel's story is tough, but you can tell she is full of compassion and is just doing what is best for her grandchildren. 

There are lots of secrets in this book, some of them far more revealing and shocking than others. It was interesting to see just how the siblings dealt with the changes in circumstances, and there really is a mixed bag of reactions. Keep your eyes out for some clowning around, as well as a courthouse scene that made me laugh and roll my eyes simultaneously. 

I enjoyed the writing in Each and Every One, and would happily read more books by Rachael English in the future, even though I struggled to connect with this story fully, I could appreciate it was very good. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...