Thursday 22 October 2015

Book Review - The Christmas Surprise by Jenny Colgan

Amazon UK
Title: The Christmas Surprise
Author: Jenny Colgan
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Sphere
Publication Date:  8th October 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


Rosie Hopkins, newly engaged, is looking forward to an exciting year in the little sweetshop she owns and runs. But when fate strikes Rosie and her boyfriend, Stephen, a terrible blow, threatening everything they hold dear, it's going to take all their strength and the support of their families and their Lipton friends to hold them together.

After all, don't they say it takes a village to raise a child?

I absolutely love the Rosie Hopkins series, and had been eagerly awaiting this release in paperback (so mum can read it after me). The first opportunity I had to start this after it arrived, I just had to read this fabulous addition to the story. 

Yes this is Rosie Hopkins book 3, and if you are worried about coming to this series late, then don't be. There is a lovely 6 page introduction to the series, that I would urge everyone reads, as it brings you right up to speed with the highlights of the story so far. I found it was enough, that despite having read the previous this time last year, I wasn't left, as you often are with series, floundering around trying to remember what had happened. 

I just wish all authors of books that appear in series, would use Jenny Colgan's OmniSequeliser!

Onto the story itself, and well I really don't want to spoil anything about it. It was brilliant being back in Lipton, and catching up with Rosie, Stephen, Lillian, Lady Lipton and all the villagers, and the first time Edison came into the shop for his Edinburgh Rock, it took me right back to the first book, and I have loved seeing him grow as a secondary character. 

There is a huge new addition to the cast in this story, and is key to most of the plots in the book. Let's just say the last sentence of the blurb is the best hint I can give but even that, the circumstances are not what you would predict. 

There are some incredibly emotional scenes in The Christmas Surprise, some sad and some just so beautiful. I loved the wedding that features, and some of what occurs during it really did bring a tear to my eye. 

A Christmas Surprise is incredibly easy to read, I couldn't believe how fast I was wrapped up in the story, and the pages just turned, an the writing drew you in, and kept you reading. As I was enjoying the book so much, my only issue with this book is that it had to end. And I can't quite tell whether there will be another or not, although I'm sure there is room for one more tale of Rosie Hopkins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...