Thursday 9 April 2020

Book Review - Maybe One Day by Debbie Johnson

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Maybe One Day 
Author: Debbie Johnson
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Orion
Publication Date: 2nd April 2020 
Rating: 5 Stars

What if you had the chance to find a lost love?

Jess still thinks about the man who disappeared from her life seventeen years ago, and the tragedy that tore them apart. So when she discovers a hidden box of letters in her mother's attic, Jess realises that the truth about why he walked away has been kept from her all this time.

Jess sets out to follow the faded postmarks across the country, determined that her journey will bring her closer to him. As each clue falls into place, Jess discovers new things about herself - and the man who once broke her heart. Maybe she can find him. Maybe their love story isn't over.

Maybe one day, they will be together again...

As I've read the last few pages I have tears pricking my eyes. I had no real idea just which direction this massive journey would take, I was happy to go with the flow and just see what the author did with the characters. 

But that ending, it's just right, I couldn't have thought  of a more apt way to round up this book, and this massive story of lost love. 

I've always known Debbie Johnson is a fabulous author, but this book seems to have catapulted her to a whole new level, I really had no idea what to expect from the book, the blurb gives an idea but thankfully doesn't touch the surface of just what's inside the covers. 

And because I went into this story with blind faith that I knew I loved the author and thus would be happy with whatever was written,  I really do think the less you know about the specifics the better. 

In a nutshell Jess discovers just after her mother's death that most of her recent life has been a lie, and that the love of her her life didn't abandon her.  After some thought she decides she will do he best to track down Joe despite very little info. 

On one level it is a group of three unlikely people going on potentially a wild goose chase of a road trip.  On another level its a story that take in assorted tough topics including grief, and mental health.   We also get to see how one man can have an impact on so many people's lives in different ways. 

It's a story full of hope, as we learn not only just what happened all those years ago that lead to Jess and Joe no longer being in each others lives, and we learn just what they have been up to in the years since.    

It's a rather emotional book, but at the same time, its a book that is filled with love.  Love shown in many different ways but most certainly of love.   

Pretty much nothing I can say will be able to do this story justice, just trust me, especially if you have enjoyed books on my recommendations in the past, that this is a special book and needs to be read.   Currently I would  put this right up in my top books of 2020. 

Thank you to Orion and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...