Monday 6 April 2020

Book Review - The School of Starting Over by Lisa Swift

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The School of Starting Over
Author: Lisa Swift
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Hera Books
Publication Date: 11th March 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

Nell’s going back to school… but now she’s learning lessons of the heart

Reception class teacher Nell Shackleton has a plan. At least, she had until she arrived at her new home of Humblebee Farm, a dilapidated farmhouse on the Yorkshire moors. But so what if the roof’s full of holes, the back door’s hanging off and there’s a sheep in the front room? Because sometimes a new beginning means starting at the bottom… right?

Xander Scott is one of the youngest headteachers Leyholme Primary School has ever had. But managing over-zealous parents and their semi-feral kids proves a tricky task for shy Xander – as does keeping his mind on the job when his feelings for the new Reception teacher become more than strictly professional…

At 43, Nell’s new friend Stevie Madeleine has given up on love. After losing her wife, Stevie’s decided that her four-year-old daughter Milly and cocker spaniel Red are the only girls she needs in her life. That is, until larger-than-life dog-walker Deb arrives on the scene. But will the secrets of Stevie’s past stop her new romance dead in its tracks?

Meeting Xander and Stevie brings joy back into Nell’s life – but when old secrets start to surface, there may be some hard lessons to learn for them all…

A gorgeously uplifting and hilarious romantic comedy that will delight fans of Milly Johnson, Holly Martin and Heidi Swain..


After a slow start to the book, which was needed so that you really knew the characters and their back stories properly, suddenly the book became simply amazing!  Completely took me by surprise, I mean there were hints throughout that you didn't have all the information even as a reader seeing multiple characters lives, but I didn't see that coming until perhaps last last possibly minute. 

I'm not even sure I want to tell you what the book is about, or any details, as I know I went in blind and was richly rewarded for it. 

I literally picked to read this due to the fact it had school in the title (and I loved books set in schools even as a kid), and knowing that Lisa Swift also writes as Mary Jayne Baker, so knew I'd be able to trust the writing.  I hadn't really acknowledged the blurb  at least until after I'd started reading! 

There are some completely memorable characters:

Ryan - as the school governor that is a thorn in poor Xander's side. I was so frustrated whenever that bully appeared, and he seemed to hate Xander.  Xander being the male lead, rather unsure of himself and his new position as acting head, full of nerves, he really is very cute, unlikely but none the less lovely person. 

Colin the sheep who only makes a few cameos, but we meet early into the book and always made me smile. 

Red the border setter, along with his 4 year old Millie are an adorable pairing, Red is rather mischievous and Millie is just adorable. I loved her mum Stevie's friendships both with Nell, the new reception teacher and also a new friendship with her dog walker Deb. 

Stevie is so brave and inspirational,  I really took to her, and enjoyed any pages she was present on.  You definitely need to keep an eye out for her back story, its painful but the way it is written about, is just right,  

And then there is Nell, who has moved to this village, bought frankly a wreck of a farmhouse to live in and renovate and initially knows no one there.   Her vision for World Book Day was spot on, and I loved how the whole school embraced it. 

Oh there are so many deep issues in this book, and it means all these characters are well rounded, living and breathing humans who you could possibly find in your local pub.  

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and delighted to see a different angle to this author's writing arsenal which is becoming rather impressive. 

Thank you to Hera and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 


1 comment:

  1. Great review and lovely cover. Adding to my list of books to read.mind you I'm not reading much at the moment I can't seem to concentrate on them. I hope you are feeling better and your mum xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...