Thursday 4 February 2021

Book Review - Grown Ups by Marian Keyes - #HolidayReading Malta

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK

Title: Grown Ups
Author: Marian Keyes
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Michael Joseph
Publication Date: 4th February 2021
Rating: 4 Stars

MEET JESSIE, CARA AND NELL.
Married to brothers Johnny, Ed and Liam Casey.
Three very different women tied to three very different men.
Every family occasion is a party - until the day the secrets spill out.
PLAYTIME IS OVER.
BUT WHERE ARE THE GROWN-UPS?

It has been a while since I last read a Marian Keyes book, and I'm not entirely sure why as I do tend to enjoy them. 

The prologue had me intrigued all these secrets suddenly being revealed, but then we instantly go back 6 months and most of the book is leading up to the prologue. 

From it we get a good look at Jessie and her family and just how complex the dynamics between them are. 

It took me while to just work out the basics of who is related to who and how. 

I loved all 5 of Jessie's children, especially the middle one who sounds more like an adult than a child  TJ is rather cool, and it touches on something very important. 

Equally Ferdia is misunderstood at first, but I loved seeing how he matured over the course of the book. 

Then there is Cara, Ed's wife, (Ed and Liam are brothers to Johnny who is married to Jessie), and we see large portions of the book through her eyes. 

I believe her key storyline was dealt with with enough emotion and sensitivity to be rather real. 

And then there is Nell, Liam's wife, who has some great personal values and tries to live by her beliefs. 

It took a while to get going but once I was happy with the basics of the characters, I really got into the story and enjoyed seeing what would happen next. 

A really enjoyable way for me to spend a day of my holiday poolside, and reading Grown Ups. 

Thank you to Michael Joseph and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...