Tuesday 12 April 2022

Book Review - Jingle Bells in June by Rosie Green

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Jingle Bells in June
Author: Rosie Green
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied copy
Publisher: Self published
Publication Date: 11th April 2022 
Rating: 5 Stars

Mackenzie Morris, newest recruit at the Little Duck Pond Café, is the perfect addition to the team. But beneath her smiles, Kenzie is hiding a dark secret. It’s the reason she fled to Sunnybrook, desperate for a fresh start that would help to lay the ghosts that haunt her.

The challenge of turning her hobby into a business is a welcome distraction, and to her relief, she finds that her range of quirky pottery mugs and vases appear to be in demand. Alone and scared when she arrived, she’s slowly making friends and starting to feel as if she belongs. Meeting a lovely guy called Aidan seems to confirm this and it looks as if love might be on the horizon.

But then Kenzie makes a devastating discovery that threatens to crush her new-found happiness. Aidan is the one person she yearns to confide in. He’s also the one person who can never know the truth . . .

Speechless. 

I read this is in one sitting in under 2 hours, I just couldn't put the book down  I needed to know just all the details of lead to Mackenzie to move to Sunnybrook. 

I mean I had an inkling but as her back story is revealed, a meteor could have hit and I wouldn't have moved, I was absorbed to new levels of absorption. 

Once again I am astounded at just what depth and qualities to Rosie Green's writing. Once again this could easily be read as a standalone novel, with a brand new character, but also we do see some of the regulars, as one of Kenzie's jobs is at the Little Duck Pond Cafe.  And I loved the latest development in Ellie's story. 

This is a book that will take you on a rollercoaster of pretty much all emotions, it is so powerful, but also has moments to make you smile, and I was hoping that Kenzie would get some happiness, even if she feels she doesn't deserve it. 

And there are bits to her backstory that had me gasping, I just didn't see them coming and I was on tenterhooks to discover what would happen next. 

This feels a bit darker, more serious in places than other books in the series, with the big topics being dealt with, in a very sensitive and empathetic manner. I really felt for Kenzie, and also certain other people in the book. 

And if you are worried that the title will mean this is an out of season Christmas book, please don't worry, it is a very apt title, that will make complete sense as you read it, but it's not remotely a Christmas book nor does it try to be! 

I can't say anything else as I'll give things away but just wowsers.  This was fabulous, and a part of an evening incredibly well spent.   I feel sorry for whatever my next book is, as I think elements of this story may be on my mind for a good long while. 

Utterly fabulous! 

Thank you to the author for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...