Friday 11 November 2022

Book Review - Christmas at the Highland Flower Shop by Lucy Coleman

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Christmas at the Highland Flower Shop
Author: Lucy Coleman
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Embla Books
Publication Date: 20th September 2022
Rating: 3 Stars

Four months. One impossible task. It's time to save Christmas.

Bella Reed has worked at The Highland Flower Shop ever since she left college and now her Aunt Jane has handed the keys and the lease over to her. With the business under her reign, Bella is ready to hit the ground running - until she's dealt a massive blow. They're being evicted.

When dashing businessman Maverick McIntyre turns up in Fort William, Bella discovers the reason they're being kicked out. He has no intention of honouring a ridiculous deal his father made many years ago.

As Maverick and Bella lock horns, they both begin to see different sides to one another and before long the two strike up the most unexpected of friendships. Bella knows she has to keep business separate, but when her head and her heart are saying two different things, life starts to get complicated.

No matter her feelings, Bella isn't about to let anyone down and the entire town's counting on her to save Christmas.

What a truly lovely story. 

You might think it is the regular sort of a book about a shop that is coming up against a corporation, and know exactly how it ends but I am delighted to say that the route Lucy Coleman takes with this book kept me on my toes at all times, and in terms of the Flower Shop and the Sleigh Ride certainly didn't turn out how I would have thought at the start.

It took me a while to get into this story completely, I found it slow to get going and just felt like it may have had too many pages.  I would have loved less deliberating over business decisions and more about the charitable sleigh ride, or just generally more of a feeling of Christmas. 

It's a good book, I enjoyed it but I have read so many books from this author that I have enjoyed more, it just didn't properly mesh well with me. 

I enjoyed the development of Maverick and getting to know his family. I also loved seeing how Holly's story developed.  I think it was just Bella that I just didn't gel with. 

I did though enjoy the Highlands setting and some of the descriptions were really good and I could conjure up the images in my minds eye quite easily. 

Thank you to Embla Books and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...