Thursday 10 November 2022

Book Review - The Christmas Wish by Lindsey Kelk

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Christmas Wish
Author: Lindsey Kelk
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Goodie bag
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: 10th November 2022
Rating: 5 Stars

Ever wished it could be Christmas every day?
Wish again…
Newly single lawyer Gwen Baker is hoping that a family Christmas – countryside, a mountain of food and festive films –
will salve the sting of her career hanging by a thread and her heart being trampled on. Because everyone else has their life sorted: even Dev, her boy-next-door crush, is now a tall, dark and handsome stranger with a fiancée. She can’t help wishing her future was clearer.

Then Gwen wakes up to discover it’s Christmas day all over again. Like Groundhog Day but with turkey. And family arguments. On repeat.

As she figures out how to escape her own particular Christmas hell, Dev is the one bright spot. He might be all grown-up but underneath he’s just as kind and funny as she remembers.

Maybe, just maybe, her heart can be mended after all.

But how do you fall in love with someone who can’t remember you from one day to the next?

When Groundhog Day meets Christmas meets Lindsey Kelk's comedy genius! 

If you mix the 3 together you have half an idea of the absolutely joys that await inside this book.   It had me laughing out loud around 30 pages in, and throughout there was jokes or situations that had me actually laughing! 

It's hilarious, especially the Christmas present from her father during the original Christmas. 

For a story that replays Christmas day over and over again, you may think it's repetitive, but it truly isn't each time Gwen is trying different things in order to try to stop it, and in doing so grows closer to all of her family members. 

But most of all Gwen learns things about herself too, but in between that we have Christmas day, we have turkey, some rather powerful fireworks,  an inability to cook, family memories and a lot more besides.  

I had to keep reading to see what situation Gwen may be rather happy that people can't remember when the day gets repeated again,. And I loved learning all of her family dynamics too. 

This is full of love, humour, festive fun, all manner of fabulous antics, embarrassing moments and it really is another sure fire hit from Lindsey Kelk.   I would absolutely love to see this turned into a hallmark movie.  It even had the super power of cooling me down in the midst of the heatwave, while reading in my garden. 

This was the first Christmas book I read for the 2022 festive reading season and suspect it will still be up there as one of my favourites by the  time I have overdosed on Christmas books for the year!  

An absolute joy to read, and one that may make me think twice while hoping the words of "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day" really could come true!  And why oh why do I now have what I am guessing is a long wait (given I read this in July), for the next book from one of my all time favourite authors! 

Thank you to Harper Collins for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...