Monday 14 November 2022

Book Review - Dead Rich by G W Shaw

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Dead Rich
Author: G W Shaw
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: riverrun
Publication Date: 26th May 2022
Rating: 5 Stars

PARADISE CAN BE MURDER

Super yachts are secretive, like their owners. Like castles, they are created to inspire awe. Like castles too, they are defended. They are an entire world, separate from the rest of us.

Kai, a carefree once-successful musician is invited by his new Russian girlfriend Zina to join her family's Caribbean holiday. Impulsively accepting he learns that Zina is the daughter of a Russian oligarch, Stepan Pirumov and that the trip is aboard his yacht, the Zinaida, moored in St Thomas in the US Virgin Islands.

On arrival Kai discovers that the head of security has been arrested, armed guards are below deck, there's an onboard panic room and a strong sense of all not being quite right beneath the gleaming surfaces of the Pirumov's lives. An unnerving presence punctures the atmosphere: a murderous imposter is on board the Zinaida, but who is it?

Kai will find that the only person he can trust will be Erin and that the world of the super-rich will become a prison from which they must escape.

Wow! That was fast paced, and incredibly addictive. I loved it! 

I could barely put the book down at points, and once it got going I read it in two further sittings that had I not had real life in the way, would have easily been one sitting.  I just couldn't get enough of the story and needed to know just how everything would turn out. 

I love books featuring the mega rich, I love thrillers set in exotic locations and this combination worked so so well in this instance. 

I could picture the yacht, the Zinaida so clearly, I also felt in danger when the characters were clearly in danger, and my heart was racing at times too.  I was just completely absorbed in the story, completely oblivious to real life and just was caught up in everything that was happening. 

It's full of danger and peril and although I'll admit I didn't really understand everything that was going on with the Russian Ogliarch, it didn't remotely detract from my enjoyment.  It did shock me some of Stepan's decisions, but he comes from a different world to me. 

I loved Erin, she embodies girl power, and is just wonderful.  And Kai really grew on me as the story ramped up and we got to see new sides to him. 

This was the first book I've read from this author but if he writes more like this then I will certainly be first in line.  It hit all my boxes and I was completely addicted. 

Thank you to Quercus and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...