Tuesday 27 June 2023

Book Review - Coming To Find You by Jane Corry

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Coming To Find You
Author: Jane Corry
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Penguin
Publication Date: 15th June 2023
Rating: 4 Stars

You can run away from your life.
But you can't run away from murder.

When her family tragedy is splashed across the newspapers, Nancy decides to disappear. Her grandmother's beautiful Regency house in a quiet seaside village seems like the safest place to hide. But the old house has its own secrets and a chilling wartime legacy . . .

Now someone knows the truth about the night Nancy's mother and stepfather were murdered. Someone knows where to find her. And they have nothing to lose . . .

So what really happened that night? And how far will she go to keep it hidden?

This is a tricky one for me to review, in part because I really don't want to give away any spoilers, so need to be very careful what I mention, and also because this was a dual timeline novel, with one of the timelines being during WW2.  Now I'm not a fan of history / historical fiction, nor do I like it appearing as half a book, when there is absolutely no way I could have realised from the blurb and my knowledge of the author's previous books. 

In all honesty had I realised it was dual timeline, I wouldn't have opted to read this in the first place, but I tend to read everything this author writes.   

With that out of the way, let me also state that I thought it was a really good book, both timelines really interesting, although it really took me a while to work out why we had to have the past bits! And it does make sense. 

The writing is certainly up to Jane Corry's normal excellent standard and it was really engaging. There are sections of high drama, at times I was scared for Nancy, and others I was reminded of the atrocities our ancestors lived through. 

I found I couldn't put the last quarter or so of the book down and actually feared that I would miss my stop on the tube as I was so absorbed in the story.  

Thank you to Penguin and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...