Friday 2 June 2023

Book Review - The Motherload by Katy Cox

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Motherload
Author: Katy Cox
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Corvus
Publication Date: 1st June 2023
Rating: 5 Stars

Mishaps at work. Misery at the school gate. Mayhem at home.
It'll get easier when he starts school... That's what Lucy was told, and she believed it. But now that her autistic son Stanley has joined Reception, his obsession with Africa and daily screaming fits at the school gates haven't exactly won him or Lucy any popularity contests.
So for Stanley's fifth birthday Lucy plans an extravagant party to help him connect with his classmates. But her autistic husband Ed knows how his son's mind works better than anyone, so instead of a big bash, they travel to Wales to eat a Libya-shaped birthday cake with Lucy's family.
And suddenly Lucy is faced with the truth about what her loved ones really need, and how they can finally find their tribe...

Please tell me this isn't the last we will see of Lucy, Stanley, Jack and Ed. I absolutely adore this family, I loved them in the author's first book, and they have grown on me even more with The Motherload. 

Stanley is just adorable and so so intelligent, and I just want to give him a hug, but fear it probably wouldn't be appreciated.

I love seeing how Lucy is doing her best to support both her autistic son and husband. The way she explains to the reader, just how their minds work and thus why she is doing things, or allowing certain behaviours,  is eye opening and I'd like to think might help anyone who has newly diagnosed autistics in their lives, to see how they could support their person. 

I also really wanted to cause Ed's mother large amounts of harm, as she think she is "helping" Lucy at times, but in reality she is in denial as to the fact autism even exists let lone how to support loved ones with it. 

I felt for Stanley as he is starting school, and clearly not a fan of it. The school seem to be trying to help him, and I did like his teacher. 

There is humour, family, fun and it's a novel that completely absorbed me, I was immersed in Lucy's life and was curious to see just what would happen next, as I was enjoying my time spent with them all so much. 

I just hope that this will have at least one more book in the series, as with the way it has ended, I feel like there is a good set up for another story, but even if there isn't, it is certainly a complete and satisfying ending. 

Thank you to Corvus and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...