Wednesday 17 January 2024

Book Review - She Says She's My Daughter by Lauren North

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: She Says She's My Daughter
Author: Lauren North
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 24th July 2023
Rating: 5 Stars

‘I don’t know who you are or why you’ve come here,’ I say, jabbing my finger at her, shaking as much as my voice. ‘But you are not my daughter. You are not Abigail.’

Fourteen years ago, our family holiday ended in tragedy when my darling four-year-old girl was snatched from us on the beach. Not a day goes by when I don’t picture her wide brown eyes, and the freckles dusting her cheeks. I only looked away for a second, and I have never forgiven myself.

Today, a seventeen-year-old girl has walked into a police station near our house. She says she’s my daughter. Abigail is back. I can’t believe it. After years of grieving, my family is finally complete again.

This should be the happiest moment of my life, but something doesn’t feel quite right. As hard as I try, I don’t know the teenager in front of me. Then holes appear in Abigail’s story, her accent starts to slip, and I catch her faking tears for the journalists outside – and I’m more certain than ever that she is not my daughter. That she is a stranger. And that we cannot trust her…

But if this mysterious girl isn’t Abigail, then who is she – and what does she want with my family?

A totally unputdownable psychological thriller with a twist that will blow you away. If you are a fan of K.L. Slater, Shari Lapena or B.A. Paris, you will be hooked!

Wow, am speechless, apart from the fact that I do want to say that Lauren North writes some of the most addictive, unpredictable, amazing psychological thrillers that I have ever read. 

I am astounded by this, I had many many theories that I was totally convinced were right as I was reading, and thus was blown away by the actual reveals as I was totally wrong. But it did make sense, the breadcrumbers were there in hindsight, I just didn't contemplate the real conclusion being remotely a feasible option. 

With the story told mainly from Sarah and Abi's points of views, with both of them for different reasons being convinced of the same thing, it is hard to know just want to trust, why, and also to work out just what the lies being cover up actually will be. 

I was totally hooked from the first few pages, and was drawn in more and more to the extent I gave myself an extended lunch break in order to read about the last 40% in one sitting, as I didn't want to be torn away and needed to know how it would finish. 

Utterly fabulous, another total triumph, and if you are a parent it may lead you to think how you would react in certain circumstances throughout the book.

Thank you to Bookouture and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...