Thursday 18 July 2024

Book Review - The Escape Room by L. D. Smithson

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Title: The Escape Room
Author: L. D. Smithson
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Transworld Digital
Publication Date: 29th February 2024
Rating: 5 Stars

Eight contestants. One killer. Can you find the traitor?

Everything is a clue.
Bonnie arrives on a remote sea fort off the coast of England to take part in a mysterious reality TV show. Competing against seven strangers, she must solve a series of puzzles to win the prize money, but this is no game - and the consequences of failure are deadly.

No one leaves.
Under scrutiny from the watching public, the contestants quickly turn on one another. Who will sacrifice the most for wealth and fame? And why can't Bonnie shake the creeping sense that they are not alone?

The only way out is to win.
When the first contestant is found dead, Bonnie begins to understand the dark truth at the heart of this twisted competition: there's a killer inside the fort, and anyone could be next. If Bonnie wants to escape, she needs to win...

Are you ready to play?

Wow.. claustrophobic...atmospheric...addictive...exhilarating...wow

Those are currently a few of the words going around in my head having just finished reading The Escape Room. 

Other thoughts include - "I didn't see that coming",  "I'd have never have guessed that ending", "reality TV in a psychological thriller is always a great mix for me, and one set on a remote fort in the Solent, and just wow". 

Easily one of the best books I've read for a while, this was totally amazing. I loved the amount of thought and detail that had gone into creating the setting, and all of the various riddles, ciphers and puzzles.  I think had I been taking part, that there is no way I would have ever survived. 

It was so cleverly crafted, by what I believe to be an incredibly twisted but intelligent mind.  I found myself constantly reaching for the book to read more and more. 

I was hooked and I needed to know how it would all turn out. 

If you only read one psychological thriller this year, make it this one. It's stupendous. 

Thank you to Transworld and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...