Tuesday 30 July 2024

Book Review - Second Chances at the Board Game Cafe by Jennifer Page

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Second Chances at the Board Game Cafe
Author: Jennifer Page
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Aria
Publication Date: 6th June 2024
Rating: 5 Stars

In the cosy Yorkshire village of Hebbleswick, single mum Taylor dreams of a fashion design career, but she spends her days fixing zips, hemming skirts and worrying about her son, Max.

At the local board game cafe, railway enthusiast Harry, still recovering from a painful breakup, dreams of fatherhood. When Taylor and Harry cross paths, sparks fly, but Harry's confidence issues and Taylor's concerns for Max threaten their budding romance.

Can they find a second chance at love where they least expect it?


This was like a warm hug of a book and was just the book I needed at the point I started reading it. I had had some upsetting news earlier that day, and after spending a few hours dazed and staring into space, I figured I should start reading a new book - picked this and basically didn't look up for the next few hours while I devoured the first half of the book. 

Which I then rapidly finished off the following day. Read in three sittings, in under a day, this was warm, cosy, comforting, and another incredibly good story in this series. 

I am loving these Board Game Cafe books, and the villages of Hebbleswick and Essendale.  And it was great getting to know Harry, one of the train game playing addicts even better. 

And to see the similarities between Harry and Taylor's son Max was really pleasing to see. Less pleasing is how Max is treated at his school by other kids and teachers too.  

He is a rather unique child who is totally fabulous, but it's hard for people to get to see it properly.  While Taylor is just longing for a bed and not a sofa to sleep on. 

She's a talented seamstress and soon gets roped into an upcycling fashion show. 

I loved the various board games that were featured in this, especially Ticket to Ride which is a game I particularly enjoy playing. 

I also loved we were able to catch up with Emily, Jo and Kate from the previous books too, as well as other recurring characters. I do enjoy a sense of community across a series. 

This was a real pleasure to read and I am already looking forward to the next book in the series. 

Thank you to Aria and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...