Monday 23 October 2017

Book Review - Christmas at the Little Knitting Box by Helen J Rolfe - Rachel Reads Randomly Book #74

Amazon UK
Title:  Christmas at the The Little Knitting Box
Author:  Helen J Rolfe
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied reveiw copy
Publisher: Self Published
Publication Date: 29th November 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


Christmas is coming and New York is in full swing for the snowy season. But at The Little Knitting Box in the West Village, things are about to change …

The Little Knitting Box has been in Cleo’s family for nearly four decades, and since she arrived fresh off the plane from the Cotswolds four years ago, Cleo has been doing a stellar job of running the store. But instead of an early Christmas card in the mail this year, she gets a letter that tips her world on its axis.

Dylan has had a tumultuous few years. His marriage broke down, his mother passed away and he’s been trying to pick up the pieces as a stay-at-home dad. All he wants this Christmas is to give his kids the home and stability they need. But when he meets Cleo at a party one night, he begins to see it’s not always so easy to move on and pick up the pieces, especially when his ex seems determined to win him back.

When the snow starts to fall in New York City, both Cleo and Dylan realise life is rarely so black and white and both of them have choices to make. Will Dylan follow his heart or his head? And will Cleo ever allow herself to be a part of another family when her own fell apart at the seams?

Full of snow, love and the true meaning of Christmas, this novel will have you hooked until the final page.


Cosy, colourful, beautifully written, kept me guessing throughout and well its Christmas in New York what's not to love!  

This is a rather warm and cosy story, its a rather sweet romance, and at the same time its so much more than that. Its a hug of a book with characters that I felt connected to instantly. 

When I say colourful, wow did Helen Rolfe swallow a colour dictionary, so many different shades of the various yarns mentioned. I could visualise all the various tones and decided that it must be a very pretty knitting shop with them all on display.  And the descriptions of the various wools and yarns were also well researched, and thankfully my wool allergy doesn't kick in just reading about it! 

It truly was a beautifully written story,  at times I was almost in tears just from things in the characters pasts, others I was just amazed how much I felt I knew both Cleo and Dylan. We see things from both of their perspectives, so I was able to fall for Dylan's children, as well as enjoy the interactions between Cleo and her new assistant Kaisha. 

There was a real will they, won't they feel to the Dyland and Cleo story - I imagined just about ever scenario as to what may happen, apart from the real one, and I honestly had no clue which way it would go until the last few pages.   In fact we don't even find out at least one of the secrets until really late on, and it does explain some of the hinted at thoughts throughout. 

As you know from fiction and movies, Christmas in New York is magical,  and I really feel as though I have experienced a Christmas period in this book from just before Thanksgiving, all through the run up to the big day and onwards. And in this book we get Christmas markets, lights, food, carols just the whole spirit of the season, it was wonderful. 

Christmas at the Little Knitting Box is a fantastic festive tale. 

Thank you so much to Helen Rolfe for this copy of the book which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh I must read this, it would satisfy my yarn envy when I see all the wonderful knitted and crochet projects around at the moment. I'm allergic to wool too and one of the reasons I gave up knitting was all the wonderful yarns around that I can't use, I was left with garish cheap acrylic as the only safe option. This book combines two of my favourite things - reading and craft. perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...