Saturday 21 October 2017

Book Review - One Day in December by Shari Low

Amazon UK
Title: One Day in December
Author: Shari Low
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Aria
Publication Date: 1st September 2017
Rating: 3 Stars


By the stroke of midnight, a heart would be broken, a cruel truth revealed, a devastating secret shared, and a love betrayed. Four lives would be changed forever, One Day in December.

One morning in December... 

Caro set off on a quest to find out if her relationship with her father had been based on a lifetime of lies. 

Lila decided today would be the day that she told her lover's wife of their secret affair. 

Cammy was on the way to pick up the ring for the surprise proposal to the woman he loved. 

And Bernadette vowed that this was the day she would walk away from her controlling husband of 30 years and never look back. 

One day, four lives on a collision course with destiny...

It's odd I had been looking forward to reading this book as I tend to love everything that Shari Low writes, but this just didn't work for me, for over half the book.  Now I understand that everything needed to be set up to make the conclusion more interesting, but I had to read through the rest to get there. 

It is in fact  clever book, all the action takes place over the course of one day, but whereas in a thriller that would make it fast paced, I found the pacing rather sedate. For it follows the actions of four seemingly at first unrelated people, until you very early on work out how they may be connected. 

Herein lies my first problem with the book, of the 4 focal characters, I was only engaged and interested in two of them, so every other chapter I was losing interest as I just wasn't as bothered about their stories.  

Also at some points you were seeing the same action but from different perspectives which is nice, unless you aren't keen on repetition!  I think the other small problem I had was the major turnoff of about 4 pages of characters at the start of a kindle book - had it been a paperback I would have referred back and forth quite happily to get my bearings quicker, but on the kindle I just got scared at how much I was going to have to remember if I read the list! 

All that being said I found the book to be well thought out and cleverly crafted. It was not my favourite of Shari Low's books but I didn't hate it either, especially as I did finally become engaged in the whole story and was even feeling rather emotional at one point.  

Thank you to Aria and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...