Friday 20 October 2017

Book Review - Covent Garden in the Snow by Jules Wake

Amazon UK
Title: Covent Garden in the Snow
Author: Jules Wake
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Harper Impulse
Publication Date: 20th October 2017
Rating: 5 Stars


Tilly Hunter has fabulous friends, her dream job as a make-up artist with a prestigious opera company and Felix, her kind and caring husband to be. It looks set to be the most perfect Christmas yet!

But when a monumental blunder forces her to work closely with new IT director Marcus Walker, it's not only the roast chestnut stalls on the cobbles of her beloved Covent Garden that cause sparks to fly…

Super serious and brooding, Marcus hasn’t got a creative bone in his sharp-suited body. For technophobe Tilly, it's a match made in hell.

And yet, when Tilly discovers her fiancĂ© isn’t at all what he seems, it's Marcus who's there for her with a hot chocolate and a surprisingly strong shoulder to cry on … He might just be the best Christmas present she’s ever had.

Had me laughing from the first page! 

There was something about Tilly's utter uselessness with computers that had me interested in her character almost instantly. It may have had something to do with her clicking on an attachment called "Santa Baby" or that yanking a plug out is her way of rebooting a computer, but she endeared herself to me very fast. 

The other thing that struck me very quickly in this story is just obviously it was set in Covent Garden and how well either the author knows the area or researched it at around Christmas time.  There were mentions of details or events that I just wouldn't have expected to see such as the Christmas lego display and the Christmas pudding race (which my family is involved with somehow, and I've never met anyone else that has heard of it!). 

It was the attention to detail throughout that impressed me, the behind the scenes at an opera company, as just how the wigs are created and some of the costume changes that aren't seen were so impressive. I'm a fan of the theatre so seeing this level of detail really interested me, and added a lot to the overall picture for me. 

Then there was Marcus, who is the IT Guru come to show Tilly the error of her technophobic ways! He grew on me as the book progressed. There is far more to him than first meets the eye, and I only 100% put two things together perhaps a chapter or so before Tilly.  

I enjoyed seeing how Tilly's relationship with her sister changed over the course of the book, and in fact with her parents too. 

Covent Garden in the Snow hits all the right notes for an entertaining and highly enjoyable story this Christmas, I loved it. 

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Harper Impulse for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...