Monday 30 July 2018

Book Review - Forgive Me Not by Samantha Tonge

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Forgive Me Not
Author: Samantha Tonge
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Canelo
Publication Date:  23rd July 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


How far would you go to make amends?

When Emma fled her home at Foxglove Farm, she’d let down and hurt those who cared for her most. But now, two years later, she’s ready to face up to her past; she’s ready to go back.

But Emma’s unannounced return causes more problems than she could have foreseen. The people she knew and loved aren’t ready to forget, let alone forgive. And the one person she wants to reconnect with the most, her mother, can’t remember who she is.

Just as Emma starts to rebuild trust, an uncovered family secret and a shocking past crime threaten her newly forged future...

Sometimes simply saying sorry isn’t enough.

Easily one of the best books I have read this year, and its a story and its message that will stay with me for long after I've finished it. 

This is an eye opening read as it deals with issues that people don't think about too much (or at least I'm ashamed to say I don't), and just goes to show that even after reaching rock bottom, there is a chance to improve your life.  

It is a story of self awareness, self discovery and learning to live with your past, as well as trying to forge a better future for yourself. 

This is a book that from the first few pages had completely enthralled me and I found myself reading far later into the small hours of the morning than intended, and then the following day read the majority of the book in one sitting, completely oblivious to the outside world. 

I was hooked on discovering everything about Emma, from the year or so before she returned to Foxglove Farm, to how she is trying to make amends.  I was enthralled by her life, which doesn't make for easy light hearted reading, and focuses on a gritty reality. 

The characters, especially Emma were completely believable, and I found myself really warming to her, despite had we learnt about aspects of her past first, you may not have been as keen.  

I have been a fan of Samantha Tonge's previous books for years,  but whereas they were generally romantic comedies this is full deep and meaningful women's fiction, a marked change of direction, but if this is what she is capable of long may it continue. 

I will say that depending on your own circumstances some of the issues tackled in this book which is clearly well researched, could be upsetting or disturbing, but yet to name them I feel would be a spoiler, and also potentially give you pre-conceptions about the book that it doesn't deserve. 

Forgive Me Not is a book best read without too much prior information, just sit down for a few hours,  and allow yourself to be drawn into Emma's story.  I could barely tear myself away.  

I am completely thrilled that I had a chance to read this book,  it truly is something special. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Canelo for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...