Saturday 21 July 2018

Book Review - A House to Mend A Broken Heart by Alison Sherlock

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK
Title: A House to Mend A Broken Heart
Author: Alison Sherlock
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Aria
Publication Date: 1st July 2017 
Rating: 4 Stars


Everyone is hiding from something...

Full of warmth, laughter, tears and heartache. Find out if there is a happy-ever-after at Willow Tree Hall. Perfect for the fans of Milly Johnson and Lucy Diamond. 

Willow Tree Hall has seen much better days and has been the proud ancestral home of the Earl and Countess of Cranley for centuries.

With no qualifications and escaping her past Annie Rogers takes the job as housekeeper to widowed Arthur, the charming current Earl of Cranley. After a bad fall puts Arthur in hospital, it's up to his reluctant heir, Sam Harris, to lend a helping hand and try to find a sustainable future for the Estate.

With the house requiring a full renovation, Annie suddenly finds herself completely out of her depth with a team of dodgy builders and Sam watching critically from the side-lines.

With Sam running from his past and Annie hiding from hers, just maybe together they can bring Willow Tree Hall back to life.

The start of a beautiful new series focussing on the lives and loves, trials and tribulations of all those who live and work at Willow Tree Hall.

It has been a while since I last read a  book by Alison Sherlock and I'm really not sure why I left it that long, as I really like this author and her writing style and storytelling skills. 

A House to Mend A Broken Heart drew me in even  more than I was expecting it to, to the extent that I read it in a few hours flat, in pretty much one sitting.  It just gave me such a sense of calm and good feeling as I read it, that I didn't want to let it go. 

From the moment that Annie meets Sam I loved every interaction between the pair, there is some great banter, and there was a certain sense of satisfaction seeing Sam hire soe incredibly dodgy builders for trying to renovate his family home, Willow Tree Hall. 

Both of our leads have things in their past which need to be revealed, while one of my favorite characters as Aunt Rose who was a breath of fresh air wherever she appeared - and I may be jealous of her wonderful wardrobe too. 

There is a lot to enjoy in this book and by the end I had an incredibly clear picture of Willow Tree Hall, and just how amazing it could look.  I loved the various story threads about family coming in many shapes and sizes and also seeing how Sam's character greatly changed from workaholic to well far more rounded man. 

Plenty of smiles to be had reading this, and the characters are developed with a bit of emotional depth to them too, which made the book feel very real in addition to enjoyable. 

Thank you to Aria and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...