Friday 27 July 2018

Book Review - How Not to be a Bride by Portia MacIntosh

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK
Title: How Not to be a Bride
Author: Portia MacIntosh
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ Digital
Publication Date: 17th October 2017
Rating: 4 Stars


Definitely, maybe…yes?
Mia Valentina gave up her high-flying life in LA to move back to Kent over four years ago. But it turns out that life in the slow lane isn’t all it’s cracked up to be!

So when her boyfriend Leo proposes, she says yes, hoping it will bring some much needed sparkle back into her life. The trouble is, Mia never wanted a big white wedding, just the happy ever after…

Well the title is not wrong, if you want to find out how to be the perfect bride for a big white wedding then you are looking in the wrong place. If you are wanting a fun romantic comedy about real people that aren't quite sure what they want or how to act then this is the book for you! 

This is a typically amusing Portia MacIntosh book, incredibly funny and transports you to between the pages of the book for a few hours while you read it.  Pure escapist fun and frolics. 

Now who doesn't want to read a book featuring a hot fireman, who appears to be the perfect boyfriend.  Leo is wonderful and I'm just a little bit in love with him myself.   

Then there is rockstar Dylan who I ended up having a real soft spot for, as we learn his personal revelations and he is the subject of Mia's latest job. 

What I did find frustrating was Mia and her constant comparisons of her LA life from before she met Leo, to her current life.  She is a lovely girl but just can't seem to see what she has in front of her.  All aspects of her life seemed pretty great to me and I did like her as a character, just wanted to knock some sense into her on occasion. 

What really made me laugh is Mia's extended family, they sound like a complete nightmare, and I know how she feels.  Doesn't seem to matter what she does there is someone around to upstage her, criticise her or blame her. 

As I've been writing this review I have just checked the blurbs of a couple of this authors previous books and its confirmed a suspicion, that if you have read some of her earlier books then there are some recurring characters in this, and made me realise I really should read those books that are lurking on my kindle! 

This is a really enjoyable romantic comedy that really made me smile. 

Thank you Netgalley and HQ Digital for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...