Monday 2 July 2018

Book Review - The French Adventure by Lucy Coleman - Bookish World Cup - France


Amazon UK
Title: The French Adventure
Author: Lucy Coleman
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Aria
Publication Date: 1st February 2018
Rating: 4 Stars


Suddenly unemployed and single, Anna escapes to her parents' beautiful house in France for a much needed recharge – and to work out what she wants to do next with her life now her carefully mapped out plan has gone out the window.

Anna gives herself 6 months to recuperate, all the while helping renovate her parents' adjoining gites into picturesque B&Bs. But working alongside the ruggedly handsome Sam on the renovation project, she didn't expect for life to take an unexpected, if not unwelcome, twist...

Being a big fan of Linn B Halton, I was delighted to discover that she was Lucy Coleman too, as I figure it means just more of her books to read! The French Adventure did feel a bit different to her other books, possibly as its quite a bit longer, and there is was nothing in that made me have to ignore my disbelief of strange happenings! 

Now The French Adventure was great, from the first few chapters I was interested in Anna and her relationship with Karl, and her feelings towards him, I was also curious about the title and when this adventure would begin. 

Well didn't take too long for the openings to sort itself out and wow what a despicable excuse for a human being Karl turns out to be, but I will leave it to you to read to discover why I disliked him so much. 

Anna decides the only thing for it is to have a 6 month working holiday in France, helping to renovate the gites at her parents new B&B.  I loved seeing the interactions between her and builder Sam, as we learn far more about pointing than I have ever understood before. 

There is a bit of an unexpected discovery in the first gite which leads to a rather interesting sub plot which I thoroughly enjoyed, and also lead to us getting to know quite a few of the other villagers in the area, as well as road trips to other near by towns and villages, so getting to see more of France which I enjoyed. 

This is a sedate book in terms of the romantic coupling you may be expecting from early on but there is plenty of other storylines and characters to keep you entertained, and i loved learning all about Sam and Anna's pasts as well as their present. 

This was an lovely story to read out in my garden on a hot May Bank Holiday weekend,  and I think the unusual heat I was experiencing helped add to the atmosphere of what I was reading.   I am looking forward to seeing what Lucy Coleman releases next. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Aria for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Monday and thrilled you enjoyed a little trip to France, Rachel. Hugs and thank you for taking the time to read and review, and for your lovely words. Put a smile on my face lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...