Friday 13 July 2018

Book Review - Sammy in Japan by Lillianna Blake - Bookish World Cup - Japan


Amazon UK
Title: Sammy In Japan
Author: Lillianna Blake
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Self Published
Publication Date: 2nd September 2016
Rating: 5 Stars

I can’t believe it’s the last stop on the book tour and Japan is definitely one of the most exotic places I’ve been to yet.

Sushi, karaoke, cat cafes, ramen soup, bullet trains…there’s A LOT to see and do in Tokyo AND the toilets—did I mention the toilets?! I won’t ruin THAT surprise for you. 

P.S. We’re also celebrating our first anniversary in Tokyo. I know! Can you believe it’s here already? Shhh don’t tell Max, but I just might have a little surprise for him. ;)

This is an incredibly fun story that I really enjoyed reading.  If anything it feels incredibly short, in part as I was surprised to see the book finished 77% and then it was previews of other books by the author, was was mildly annoying as I had been wanting more story. 

With that gripe out of the way, I have nothing else to fault the book on,  it is witty,  Sammy is a great character and I loved seeing her interactions with Max.  This is the first book I have ever read by the author and I really do think it does work as a standalone story, although I do suspect had I had the full background to Sammy and Max's relationship and more about the book they were doing their world tour for, I may have felt more deeply for them. 

But taking everything at face value you have a witty story where Sammy is exploring elements of Japanese culture during a week or so spent in the country.  I don't know if this is just because Japanese toilets are different but some of the best scenes in the book seemed to involve them..but like the blurb says I won't say more than that. 

This is fast paced, written in a friendly style that is accessible and made me warm to the characters quite quickly.  I found the pages were passing at an alarming quick speed, with loads of mad cap antics on the way.  Overall a really amusing story that gives us a quick guide to Japan, plus moves along what I believe to be series story arcs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...