Sunday 22 July 2018

Book Review - My Girlfriend's Perfect Ex-Boyfriend by Peter Jones

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK
Title: My Girlfriend's Perfect Ex-Boyfriend 
Author: Peter Jones
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied copy
Publisher: Soundhaven Books
Publication Date: 26th September 2017
Rating: 4 Stars

Adrian Turner; Mountaineer, Secret Agent, Fireman… Ade would dearly like to be any of these things, though he’d trade them all to win the heart of feisty Public Relations Executive, Paige.

Instead, he’s a disillusioned school teacher, on suspension, after an unfortunate incident with a heavy piece of computer equipment. And somebody’s foot. 


And Paige? Despite being his girlfriend for the past eighteen months, she still seems to have one foot out of the door and hasn’t quite committed to leaving a toothbrush in the bathroom.


Of course, it doesn’t help that she’s working with her ex-boyfriend, Sebastian. A man who in almost every way imaginable is better, taller, wealthier, hairier, and infinitely more successful than Ade. 


Is Paige still in love with Sebastian? Why then did she suggest they get away for a few days? Some place romantic… 


But when Adrian finds himself in Slovenia - with Sebastian in the room down the hall - he realises there’s serious possibility that he’s in danger of losing his job, his mind, and the woman he loves…

Third book I've read by the talented Peter Jones and third book I have thoroughly enjoyed. 

I do love a rom-com written from a male POV and with a male protagonist, and this is definitely a good example of those, written with the authors trademark quirkiness and wackiness. 

For nothing is straightforward between Adrian and Paige, and it seems as though there is a third person in their relationship, her ex-boyfriend Sebastian who according to Adrian is perfect. 

Adrian is rather insecure in his relationship and perceives himself to be second best  to the ex-boyfriend, and its through his insecurities that some of the early great moments occur.  

However it takes for a holiday to Slovenia for everything to become rather crazy in a good way and the story is told at a fast pace that just as you are comprehending one set of facts a new curveball comes in to add a new layer to the intrigue. 

I also loved the descriptions of Slovenia, the beauty of the area they were staying in, and my mouth was watering at what sounds like one of the best hotel breakfast spreads I've ever seen. Added to the spa facilities, and lets just say I would love to stay there myself. 

I found this to be a lovely book to read in my garden on hot day in May, where  I was able to relax into the story and had I needed to would have been able to laugh out loud without overlookers - as this is a funny book. 

I loved that there are small nods to the authors previous books with a couple of the characters, which made me smile, as I do like seeing recurring characters even in minor roles. 

Although not my favourite book from Mr Jones, it is still a great read and will give you a good idea of just what this author is about. 

Thank you to Peter Jones for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...