Friday 14 September 2018

Book Review - At The Wedding by Matt Dunn

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: At The Wedding
Author: Matt Dunn
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Lake Union Publishing
Publication Date: 1st September 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


Livia’s been planning her wedding to Jed for ages. Now, at the venue in beautiful Barcelona, with her dress pressed and the guests all on their way, she’s only left one tiny detail until the last minute: letting the groom know he’s about to get hitched.

But as far as Jed’s concerned, they’ve been bumping along just fine for ten years and even have a baby on the way, so why spoil things with an ‘I do’? Especially when he’d really rather not.

Meanwhile the guests are arriving with plenty of baggage of their own. Fading reality star Liam’s still on the lookout for a plus-one; Rachel’s has refused to come—and dumped her into the bargain; and divorcee Patrick’s date is more of the ‘mid-life crisis’ variety.

But as the ceremony approaches, and with no sign of Jed, there’s only one thing on all of their minds: will there be a bride and groom at the wedding?

I have no idea how Matt Dunn manages it, but not for the first time has has written a book based around the events of a short space of time - this time around its 48 hours and manages to fit in so many twists and turns along the way to keep readers on their toes.  

At times I was so engrossed in this book that a waitress made me jump out of my skin, as I hadn't seen her approach and I'm still not sure how I returned home as I don't recall seeing most of the stops! 

The book is not the only thing that is fast paced, so is the time between proposal and wedding, for Livia's and Je.  To say that Jed was rather surprised at the real reason they were in Barcelona, would be an understatement. 

Followed up with the following day assorted friends and family arrive for the wedding, all of whom have been sworn to secrecy. 

The focal point switches around between some of the main characters,so you were able to get to know them a bit better.  I really did love all members of the main wedding part, and some of the supplementary people were also great to meet. 

I love how clever this author is in creating a believable storyline, with plenty of action and humour but using such a small timeline.  Each character shows some development in their view towards relationships over the course of the book.  I loved Liam's continual flirting, Izzy's shopaholic tendencies, Patrick's father figure approach to the group, Rachel's sightseeing is particularly memorable as is Jed's reaction to the proposal

Another gem of a book from Dunn, reminding me once more of just how much I love this author. If you are already a fan then you will understand when I say it has all of his trademark style and is a must read.  If you have never tried a Matt Dunn book, then this is certainly a great example of what he is capable of. 

Thank you to Lake Union Publishing and Matt Dunn for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...