Wednesday 5 September 2018

Book Review - You Let Me In by Lucy Clarke

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: You Let Me In
Author: Lucy Clarke
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: 16th August 2018
Rating: 3 Stars


Nothing has felt right since Elle rented out her house . . .

I’M IN YOUR HOUSE

There’s a new coldness. A shift in the atmosphere. The prickling feeling that someone is watching her every move from the shadows.

I’M IN YOUR HEAD

Maybe it’s all in Elle’s mind? She’s a writer – her imagination, after all, is her strength. And yet every threat seems personal. As if someone has discovered the secrets that keep her awake at night.

AND NOW I KNOW YOUR SECRET

As fear and paranoia close in, Elle’s own home becomes a prison. Someone is unlocking her past – and she’s given them the key…

I'm attributing the past few nights disturbed sleep to my foolish decision to read this in bed and even more foolishly stopping at sections that were about to hook me in further, as had I done that then I would never have even attempted sleep and instead would have been reading all night. 

The book is rather unsettling and at times I wasn't really sure what was reality, what was past and what was another character, or if some of this was a book within a book as Elle is an author. 

This is the second psychological thriller I've read in a few weeks with books and authors at the forefront, and I just wish I had put more distance between them so I could distinguish the stories more clearly in my mind. 

That aside this is a book definitely got under my skin, I was eager to keep returning to reading to it.  I wasn't entirely sure who was causing the unease but the final reveal somehow didn't surprise me, although a few of the other twists did. 

The writing is rather evocative and I really did wonder if Elle was losing her mind at points  every occurence of something weird also had a potentially plausible explanation,  which added to the intrigue.  I was very curious throughout as to what Elle was hiding,  and the story is certainly a bit creepy.  

Unfortunately at the end of the day I have much preferred the authors previous books, and feel this just didn't hit the mark properly for me - but given I can be hit and miss with the genre, doesn't necessarily mean you will have the same reaction to it. 

Thank you to Harper and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...