Tuesday 25 September 2018

Book Review - The Coordinates of Loss by Amanda Prowse

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link
Amazon UK
.Title: The Coordinates of Loss
Author: Amanda Prowse
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Lake Union Publishing
Publication Date: 25th September 2018
Rating: 4 Stars

When Rachel Croft wakes up on her family’s boat in Bermuda, it’s to sunshine and yet another perfect day…until she goes to wake her seven-year-old son, Oscar. Because the worst thing imaginable has happened. He isn’t there.

In the dark and desperate days that follow, Rachel struggles to navigate her grief. And while her husband, James, wants them to face the tragedy together, Rachel feels that the life they once shared is over. Convinced that their happy marriage is now a sham, and unable to remain in the place where she lost her son, she goes home to Bristol alone.

Only when she starts receiving letters from Cee-Cee, her housekeeper in Bermuda, does light begin to return to Rachel’s soul. She and James both want to learn to live again—but is it too late for them to find a way through together?

All consuming, utterly gripping story about a couple coming to terms with the sudden loss of their child, while at sea on day, in Bermuda. 

I could barely put the book down as the writing is so good, and it just drew me in and wouldn't let me know. 

However unlike other books by this author, I just didn't quite connect properly with the subject and the characters and I can only think that is because we didn't really get to see Oscar alive and connect to him before the tragedy, so its harder to feel his loss for yourself.  

We do get to know Oscar a bit through reminisces but given the book is all about his death and those coping with it, I was surprised that I didn't feel anything towards him, especially given I normally love child characters in books. 

What I loved were the letters that Cee-Cee, their housekeeper was writing to Rachel, to help her with her grief and through them we learn about Cee-Cee's own life and her heartbreak.  

I started to warm to Rachel once the complete despair stage was a bit lesser and watching her slowly come to terms with her new life and situation is rather inspiring. I am sure that if you are going through a similar situation and were in a position to read this, then it would give you some comfort, and hope.  Equally those that have unfortunately lived through what Rachel and James do, may connect to this book a lot more than I did. 

That being said I was unable to tear myself away, I had to read it in a few hours, in long stints, and wasn't really aware of what was going on around me.  I didn't find it emotional, but it was interesting and the topic is dealt with, with Amanda Prowse's typical levels of details warmth and sensitivity. 

This ia a great book and if you are new to the author it will certainly give you a fabulous idea of what she is capable of. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...