Thursday 6 September 2018

Book Review - The Rise and Fall of Becky Sharp by Sarra Manning

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Rise and Fall of Becky Sharp
Author: Sarra Manning
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Harper
Publication Date: 6th September 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


Becky Sharp has big dreams and no connections. Determined to swap the gutters of Soho for the glamorous, exclusive world behind the velvet rope, Becky will do anything to achieve fame, riches and status.

Whether it’s seducing society’s most eligible bachelors, or befriending silly debutantes and rich old ladies, Becky Sharp is destined for great things. Because it might be tough at the top but it’s worse at the bottom.

From London to Paris and beyond, Becky Sharp is going places – so get the hell out of her way…

It had been a while since I last read a book by Sarra Manning but this book has certainly reminded my why I enjoy her books - even when  I wasn't reading it my mind was on the characters and wondering just what they would get up to next. 

I'm not sure how much I can say I particularly liked the characters or Becky herself but I was intrigued by them and with the authors clever writing, I certainly wanted to continue seeing how the story would play out.  I love books where there is scandal, rich people behaving badly, at least one person out for revenge, and a large cast of storylines and character.   I was never sure exactly how this story would end and i'm grateful as it made it so much more enjoyable. 

I am under the impression this is a modern re-telling of Vanity Fair, having never read it I have no idea how it matches up and was judging this as a book on its own merits. 

Despite my feelings towards some of the characters what they are though is memorable, and right from the first few pages I was enthralled by what was happening and the so called friendship between Becky and Emmy in the Big Brother house.  

Becky Sharp is a master of disguising her true self, depending who she is with depends just how she will treat a situation, and what level of sincerity she exhibits.  What you do get the impression of is the only person she cares about is herself and is using all of her wiles to improve her situation in all walks of life. 

To me this is a perfect poolside read, and worked just as well as an entertainingly gripping story to be read in my garden over two hot sunny afternoons.   A delightful way to spend some time and I'm really glad I read this. 

Thanks to Harper and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. If that's a retelling, it makes more sense. I read "Becky Sharp" and instantly thought, isn't that the character from Vanity Fair? This one looks like a good read :)

    Megan - Ginger Mom and the Kindle Quest

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...