Wednesday 26 September 2018

Let's see if as a book community we can do some good in the fight against a horrific disease...

As you will know, if you have been following me over the past three years, it is incredibly rare for me to write a personal post of any sort, unless I'm talking about holidays, but after I received an email earlier this afternoon I have been compelled to reach out to the book community. 

For earlier this evening I discovered that my inspirational headmistress while I was at school, Bernice McCabe, OBE, has been diagnosed with the same incurable brain cancer that took Tessa Jowell earlier this year. 

The school I went to was superb, and has many successful alumnae, including in the world of books, Jane Corry (whose books I love),  and Gillian Cross, plus those across all fields. From the headmistress down it was a school that supported its girls in all of their academic and extra-curricular pursuits.  

I will always recall the last day I was in school, for the Valedictory Assembly, I was sitting on the desks in a year 7 classroom, waiting for the bell to ring, so I could say good bye to the class that I had been a form assistant to in that last year, when Mrs McCabe walked in.  I feared I was going to be told off for sitting on a desk, but instead was astounded when not only did I discover she knew my name, but was letting me know that I was getting a prize for services to the school, which of course delighted me.  And meant I felt even worse when a couple of months later the A-Level results were in and I didn't achieve what was expected. 

I think this feeling of failure towards Mrs McCabe and the school has stuck with me through the years, so when I had an email from another old girl of the school, with this heart breaking news about such a wonderful woman, I knew I had to act,..

So what exactly is it that I am looking to do, well Grace Link is putting together a massive fund raiser and online auction, and can explain it all far better than me but essentially if you are an author, or publisher and can donate anything big or small to the auction then please do get in contact with Grace, as it is all for an incredibly good cause.,, 

Hello, 

I am currently studying at Princeton University in the US, however I have taken some time away in London to fundraise as sadly the headmistress of my school, Bernice McCabe OBE, has been diagnosed with brain cancer.  (https://www.standard.co.uk/…/leading-headteacher-bernice-mc…)We are extremely close as I was her Head Girl in the year she left the school (2016) and she has been my greatest role model and mentor.   Bernice has inspired the philosophies and ethics which continue to shape not just my life, but the lives of thousands of girls who flourished under her guidance.  

Bernice was able to receive a significant life-extending drug, Ipilimumab, privately at University College London Hospital. However, many who do not have private care, cannot access this important treatment. Bernice's oncologist, Dr Paul Mullholland, has been given the go-ahead to begin some immunotherapy trials which could mean the biggest brain cancer breakthrough in decades and the availability of this drug on the NHS. The National Brain Appeal has committed to raise £250,000 and Bernice has made it her mission to help achieve this amount.  

I am helping her by silent auction in London in late October. It would mean the world to me and so many schoolgirls who are desperate to help the cause in honour of Bernice, if you were to provide a lot to be auctioned for the event.  Ideally we are looking for “money-can’t-buy” goods or experiences, but anything you might be able to offer would be very gratefully received!  The money raised will not only be a tribute to Bernice’s struggle, but also to Tessa Jowell and the countless other sufferers of brain cancer in the UK. 

Current lots include joyrides in a Caterham super 7, a Skype call with the ‘Riverdale’ cast, and others from the Globe Theatre and Harry Potter and The Cursed Child. But you can offer anything from tea with an author to your nan’s Steak and Kidney pie! The aim is to help The National Brain Appeal reach their target of £250,000 by the start of the trials- but this is a gargantuan task in such a short space of time.  I know your support in any way would be invaluable to achieving this target. https://www.justgiving.com/campaigns/charity/tnba/immunotherapy

The auction is scheduled to go live on the 14th October - but this is a flexible date and we may still add lots past it. 

Thank you so very much again for your help!

Best wishes,

Grace x

If you are able to help, please do contact Grace on glink@princeton.edu and together lets see if we can make a difference to people's lives. 

And since hearing the news I have found this rather wonderful article too, written by Bernice McCabe herself, so I will leave you with that. 

Thanks for reading this far and I really hope that even if you can't help you can share this with someone that you feel may be able to. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't have much of value, but I'm happy to donate my latest book. It had reached #1 US bestseller so might be worth someone pitching in for. So sorry for your sad news, Rachel. She sounds like a fine woman. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Affair is wonderful and I'm sure there would certainly be interested if you could sign a copy!! If you can send Grace a quick email as she is organising it all, I would appreciate it - glink@princeton.edu

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...