Thursday 21 September 2017

Book Review - Keep You Safe by Melissa Hill

Amazon UK
Title:  Keep You Safe
Author: Melissa Hill
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ 
Publication Date: 21st September 2017
Rating: 5 Stars



A mother always knows best. Doesn’t she?

What if your choice for your child could harm someone else’s?

Every mother faces impossible choices. Vaccination is one of the hardest. For single mum Kate O’Hara, there was no decision to make. Her daughter Rosie is one of a small percentage of Irish children who can’t be vaccinated against measles. All Kate can do is hope that her little girl is safe.

For mummy blogger Madeleine Cooper, it was a leap of faith she wasn't prepared to take when she and her husband declined controversial measles jabs for their daughter Clara. All she can do is pray that it’s the right decision.

But when classmates Clara and Rosie both become sick will Kate pay for Madeleine’s choice?

A stunning and addictive new book club read from beloved bestselling Irish author Melissa Hill that explores every mother’s worst fear

Thought provoking, unputdownable, utterly addictive, full of emotion in places, and incredibly well researched is just about the best way I can sum up this new direction for Melissa Hill.  

Focusing on a topic that can be controversial, vaccinations, and the book manages to put forward all manner or arguments for and against the topic, it rationalises the two very different reasons that Madeline and Kate made to not vaccinate their children, and takes you on a rollercoaster ride. 

It feels like a book that was really in two distinctive parts. The first main part of the book focuses on the two families, and how they cope when their children become ill with measles. You are with them every step of the way and in the case of one family things don't go smoothly. Which brings us onto the second main part of the book which I can't talk about as I can't phrase things the way I want without giving major spoilers. 

There was a very small section in the middle of the book which felt slightly flat to me, but that is because its the transitional bit between the aforementioned two main focuses. 

At the heart of this all Madeline and Kate want is to keep their children safe, they just have completely different approaches and situations. One is a single mother, the other is a parenting blogger who courts publicity. 

My own opinion towards each character altered over the course of the book, at times I found myself more sympathetic to one than the other. The chapters generally focused on one of the two perspectives at a time, and I felt I really got an idea as to how both of the families would react to certain situations. 

I have been a fan of Melissa Hill books for many years, and the second I saw the blurb for this, although it felt a lot more serious, I knew I had to read it. And wow was I right, I found it as quick to read as her previous works, but 1000 times more unputdownable, its compulsive reading at its best, and I had to know how everything was going to turn out. 

Keep You Safe is touching, its brilliant, the story is relevant and relatable too, with some great characters and flowing writing. I couldn't have enjoyed this book more. 

Thank you to Netgalley and HQ for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...