Thursday 31 January 2019

Book Review - The Last Lie by Alex Lake

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Last Lie
Author: Alex Lake
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: 27th December 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


Everyone lies…but some lies are deadly.

For Claire Daniels, life is good. She has everything she’s ever wanted – a career she loves, friends she can rely on and a husband who dotes on her. All she needs is to start a family of her own and things will be even better than good.

They’ll be perfect.

For Alfie, it couldn’t be more different. His life with Claire is built on a lie. A lot of lies. And she can never find out.

Because Alfie has plans for her. Plans which must never come to light. But lies have a way of taking on a life of their own, and when his do, the consequences threaten to destroy everything.

For him and Claire.

It seems like any time I sit down with an Alex Lake book, I know I need to shut out the world for a few hours and read it non stop.  The Last Lie was no exception, I have no idea what was going on around me for the past 3 hours while I was completely hooked on Alfie and Claire's story.   Although looking around I appear to be safe and sound at home, so probably didn't miss much in the real world! 

Although due to the level of intensity I felt with the story, I do feel slightly discombobulated as I feel as though I as alongside Claire and Alfie every step of the way.  At times I had my own theories as to what the main outcome was, and I was frustratingly close to being able to guess, but outcome and the finer points and motivations still were outside my reach. 

Having read most of this authors books, this has the sort of themes I have come to expect but with a whole new story and excellent writing that grasps you by the throat and won't let you go until you have reached the end. 

Alex Lake is incredibly talented, and I was completely absorbed by the story - which was written in three main parts. 

The first part and only one I'm commenting on, had us seeing Claire and Alfie's marriage from both of their points of view, and as a result were aware of all sorts of information that acted as hooks, but also key points for later in the book.  

On paper they look like a couple incredibly happy and in love, but as fans of psychological thrillers especially know, its what happens in private that can be fascinating, and discovering you don't know your partner as well as you think you do is always rather enlightening. 

The Last Lie is an addictive and compulsive read that had me hooked early on and that I utterly enjoyed. every second of. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Harper for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...