Saturday 23 March 2019

Book Review - Cut Off by Mark Billingham

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Cut Off
Author: Mark Billingham
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Sphere
Publication Date: 1st February 2018
Rating: 5 Stars

It's the moment we all fear: losing our phone, leaving us cut off from family and friends. But, for Louise, losing hers in a local café takes her somewhere much darker.

After many hours of panic, Louise is relieved when someone gets in touch offering to return the phone. From then on she is impatient to get back to normal life.

But when they meet on the beach, Louise realises you should be careful what you wish for...

If you enjoyed Cut Off, try Love Like Blood, the latest novel in the series starring Mark Billingham's detective hero, DI Tom Thorne.

Would you believe me that this was my first book from Mark Billingham, and what a story it was. 

It really is a quick read at around 90ish pages, and took me the time I had my dinner one evening to read it. 

It has a terrifying concept behind it, when Louise manages to lose her phone.  After all I know if I was in that situation I would equally feel lost without mine.  

This was creepy, it had me gripped and gave me an excellent introduction to perhaps the tip of the author's dark depths.  There was good characterisation and I really did feel Louise;s fear.  

If you are looking for something slightly on the dark side, that really hooks you in, and really is a quick enjoyable read, and a great example of how a novella should be written, then look no further than Cut Off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...