Wednesday 23 October 2019

Book Review - The Christmas Holiday by Sophie Clare

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK

Title: The Christmas Holiday
Author: Sophie Clare
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton 
Publication Date: 19th September 2019
Rating: 5 Stars

Can a trip away lead you home?

After a bad break-up, eternal optimist Evie Miller has moved to the small village of Willowbrook to finally pursue her dream of opening a craft shop. Unfortunately, with money worries and an ex-boyfriend determined to track her down, her fresh start isn't going entirely to plan.

Jake Hartwood is also looking to escape his past. Haunted by the loss of his wife, he's determined not to get close to anyone again - and the last thing he wants is to be celebrating this December.

Hoping to avoid the festivities, Evie and Jake arrange to escape Christmas together as friends in Provence. But will the magic of the season change things between them?

And what happens if one of them starts to feel something more?

From the first moments where we meet Evie and Jake, I was hooked. There was just something about their interactions that kept me reading and going back from more.   Their early banter is amusing but it is also clear they are both not in the market for a relationship, or in Jake's case friendship either. 

Slowly though Evie's bright bubbly personality manages to affect Jake, and you start to understand why he is the he is currently acting.   I loved all of Evie's passion for sewing,and her ideas for her shop. 

What I found a shame was how Evie's family and ex-boyfriend treat her, and just how its affected her self confidence.  I could completely empathise with Evie, especially in relation to having parents that don't have any faith in a persons job, and only wanting them to marry someone who meets their expectations in terms of what they do and how much they earn.   It's a situation I find myself in continually, so really felt for Evie whenever she had to deal with her family. 

Whenever I wasn't reading this, my mind was on the story and wondering when I could next pick the book up to continue reading.  This is the first book I've read by Sophie Clare and I'm so glad that I picked it.  The writing is so friendly, easy to follow and I found the pages were just flying past. 

I really enjoyed every aspect of this book.  I would say if you are looking for a book that gives you a strong Christmas feeling, then you may be disappointed, but if you would enjoy heartwarming stories, filled with character growth,set to a December backdrop, a season of looking book and also looking forwards, then this would be a wonderful read for you.   I really do feel this could easily be read at all times of the year. 

Thank you to Hodder on Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...