Tuesday 1 October 2019

Book Review - The Family by Louise Jensen

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Family
Author: Louise Jensen
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ
Publication Date: 1st October 2019
Rating: 5 Stars

ONCE YOU’RE IN, THEY’LL NEVER LET YOU LEAVE.

Laura is grieving after the sudden death of her husband. Struggling to cope emotionally and financially, Laura is grateful when a local community, Oak Leaf Organics, offer her and her 17-year-old daughter Tilly a home.

But as Laura and Tilly settle into life with their new ‘family’, sinister things begin to happen. When one of the community dies in suspicious circumstances Laura wants to leave but Tilly, enthralled by the charismatic leader, Alex, refuses to go.

Desperately searching for a way to save her daughter, Laura uncovers a horrifying secret but Alex and his family aren’t the only ones with something to hide. Just as Laura has been digging into their past, they’ve been digging into hers and she discovers the terrifying reason they invited her and Tilly in, and why they’ll never let them leave…

From the prologue I was gripped, I wasn't entirely sure what had happened but I knew I wanted to find out more. 

Throughout reading this I had a deeply unsettled feeling, there was so many secrets and twists, it really keeps you on your toes. 

The setting I think is a big part of the creepy atmosphere of this book, as most of it is set in an isolated farm community, that has taken Laura and Tilly in.  But once they are in, you have to wonder if they will ever be allowed to leave. 

As you may guess from the title this book explores the themes of family, and whether ties are stronger with a flesh family, or one that you have chosen for yourself.  There are so many strands of family based story, not just with Laura and Tilly, but also other members of the community.

We get to see inside Laura, Tilly and Alex's heads, although the lion's share of the book was devoted to Laura, the other voices really added to the overall story.  At times I had no idea which characters I could really trust or not. 


This is the first Louise Jensen book that I've read, and now I'm wondering why I haven't read her other books, something that I intend to fix in the future, or at least keep following her new releases.  The writing was fabulous, i was never completely sure which way was up, and how real this remote community was, and their way of life, was impressive. I felt as though I was alongside them. 

The Family kept me hooked and guessing until the very end.  

Thank you to HQ on Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...