Friday 25 December 2020

Book Review - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Milly Johnson

Well I couldn't think of a more aptly titled Christmas book, for my Christmas day review this year.  I hope you all have as good a Christmas as you can, and that 2021 brings you everything you wish. 

I'm having a week off from new reviews, but from tomorrow is my 12 days of author's picks of their favourite feel good books of 2020! I hope you will enjoy their suggestions and 
I'll see you all in 2021 with some more hopefully fabulous books. 

Merry Christmas. 

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day
Author: Milly Johnson
Format reviewed: Hardback
Source: EDPR
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: 29th October 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

It’s nearly Christmas and it’s snowing, hard. Deep in the Yorkshire Moors nestles a tiny hamlet, with a pub at its heart. As the snow falls, the inn will become an unexpected haven for six people forced to seek shelter there…
 
Mary has been trying to get her boss Jack to notice her for four years, but he can only see the efficient PA she is at work. Will being holed up with him finally give her the chance she has been waiting for?
 
Bridge and Luke were meeting for five minutes to set their divorce in motion. But will getting trapped with each other reignite too many fond memories – and love?
 
Charlie and Robin were on their way to a luxury hotel in Scotland for a very special Christmas. But will the inn give them everything they were hoping to find – and much more besides?
 
A story of knowing when to hold on and when to let go, of pushing limits and acceptance, of friendship, love, laughter, mince pies and the magic of Christmas. 

Gorgeous, warm and full of heartfelt emotion, I Wish it Could be Christmas Every Day is the perfect read this winter!

What a wonderful story.  I really don't know where to begin trying to do this justice.  In fact I think you should just go and read this book, especially if you love a Christmas book, or just about anything by Milly Johnson.  

You don't need the review, just take my word for it, this is Milly Johnson at her best and it has quite a different feel  from her previous Christmas novel, and well they are both fabulous. 

An inn in Figgy Hollow becomes a safe haven for 6 people in a ridiculously snowstorm that leaves them all a bit stranded.  Except Bridget had to break into it, the whole village seems to be abandoned, and although there is a note saying there is a Christmas day booking and its got a fully stocked kitchen, there is no sign of a landlord. 

There is a rather charming local radio station which loved playing classic Christmas music and had one person running it for what sounded like very few listeners. 

So its 6 people but 3 pairs of people.  Mary and Jack who are boss and PA,  Robin and Charlie who are a delightful married couple, and Bridge and Luke who were trying to get together before they got stranded to sign their divorce paperwork. 

Over the course of a few days of being snowed in, they become like a bit of a family and is was just such a cosy and loving time.  We really get to know their different personalities and Charlie and Robin are easily my favourite. 

Even more so once something they hadn't mentioned becomes known to the group, at which point the story took a more emotional turn.  There are all manner of ups and downs in this and was just a pleasure to read it. 

I spent the day curled up on the sofa, with this story and read it in three main bursts, it would have been one sitting but hardbacks are heavy, so needed to give my wrists a rest, but my mind was in Figgy Hollow whenever I wasn't reading. 

Incredibly enjoyable, with a whole lot going on, I loved every second of it. 

Thank you to EDPR for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...