Tuesday 8 December 2020

Book Review - The Tearoom on the Bay by Rachel Burton

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.


Title: The Tearoom on the Bay
Author: Rachel Burton
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Aria
Publication Date: 1st October 2020
Rating: 4 Stars

It's time for Ellie to return home and rediscover the past she left behind...
After a tough break-up, Ellie returns to the only place she's ever really felt at home – the coastal town of Sanderson Bay. A year later, she's living her dream, brewing delicious artisan teas and selling them at her very own café. And when the mysterious and brooding Ben walks into her tearoom, Ellie finally dares to dream of true love.

But then her ex shows up in the Bay, and just as Ellie discovers some tragic truths about her family's past, she learns Ben might be hiding an unwelcome secret of his own...

Can Ellie let go of her past and brave a future with Ben?

Let me begin by saying thank you to Rachel Burton for introducing me to the delights of a Christmas song called "I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas" which is a song mentioned a few times in the book and that I had to google and listen to.  It's rather charming, completely bizarre and I'm surprised never appears on any Christmas compilation albums! 

So now you are back from looking that up too, sorry, but who could resist - I'd like to say what an enjoyable story this really was. 

If you are a fan of tea in all its varieties, you will love Ellie's gift of being able to meet a person and work exactly what sort of tea blend they would be, and she seems to have a good success rate with it.  And the tearoom in Sanderson Bay is rather quaint sounding, warm, cosy and in a year of being open has become a hub of the community. 

From the moment Ellie meets Ben there is something between them even if its not entirely obvious what,  they can recognise things in each other, but its also clear Ben is hiding various things. I found there were more than enough clues to get the gist of what Ben may reveal, but I had to keep reading to check I was correct. 

Then there is Marcus, Ellie's ex, who has turned up out of the blue, and well is he a changed man, will he get her back, or just cause chaos?

I loved the whole vibe of Sanderson Bay, and especially the knitting group ladies, who were always good to listen to their gossip.  And then there is the weekly pub quiz with its incredibly tricky final questions which had me scratching my head! 

It's the second book I've read by Rachel Burton and I'm already eyeing up her next book out next year, so will definitely be happy to read more.  I really enjoyed the whole book, and now won't be happy unless I get a Hippopotamus for Christmas. 

Thank you to Aria and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...