Wednesday 24 August 2022

Book Review - Tiny Pieces of Us by Nicky Pellegrino

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Tiny Pieces of Us
Author: Nicky Pellegrino
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Orion
Publication Date: 30th June 2020 
Rating: 5 Stars

My heart is less than 1% of my body, it weighs hardly anything; it is only a tiny piece of me, yet it is the part everyone finds most interesting.

Vivi Palmer knows what it's like to live life carefully. Born with a heart defect, she was given a second chance after a transplant, but has never quite dared to make the most of it. Until she comes face-to-face with her donor's mother, Grace, who wants something in return for Vivi's second-hand heart: her help to find all the other people who have tiny pieces of her son.

Reluctantly drawn into Grace's mission, Vivi's journalist training takes over as one by one she tracks down a small group of strangers. As their lives intertwine Vivi finds herself with a new kind of family, and by finding out more about all the pieces that make up the many parts of her, Vivi might just discover a whole new world waiting for her...

What an amazing story. I couldn't get enough of it, and it really did give me all the feels. 

The amount of research that must have gone into all the details regarding transplants and donors is incredible, and I felt as though I learnt a lot from reading this. 

And it was impossible to predict the finale of the book, as it could have gone in some many ways and I couldn't help but read the last third of the book in one sitting, ignoring the world around me, as I had to know what would happen next. 

For fans of the author, who like me are a tad surprised that this book isn't set in Italy, don't worry a rather familiar location does pop up, and provides a stunning backdrop to that portion of the book. 

I think this will really open people's eyes about organ donation and whether or not they wish to be on the donor register.  It seems like such a selfless thing to be able to do and to help others.  

There are a lot of big topics covered in this rather special book, and I couldn't get enough of them all.  I don't read these sorts of emotional, deep books all that often, but when I do, I know I'll be in for a story to really capture my imagination and empathy and this was no exception. 

Just wow, Nicky Pellegrino has truly written a fabulous book here, and I am already eager to see what she writes next. 

Thank you to Orion and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...