Wednesday 10 April 2019

Book Review - The House We Called Home by Jenny Oliver

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The House We Called Home
Author: Jenny Oliver
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ 
Publication Date: 28th June 2018
Rating: 4 Stars


The house where Stella and her sister Amy grew up never changes – the red front door, the breath-taking view over the Cornish coast, her parents in their usual spots on the sofa. Except this summer, things feel a little different…

Stella’s father is nowhere to be seen, yet her mother – in suspiciously new Per Una jeans – seems curiously unfazed by his absence, and more eager to talk about her mysterious dog-walking buddy Mitch.

Stella’s sister Amy has returned home with a new boyfriend she can barely stand and a secret to hide, and Stella’s husband Jack has something he wants to get off his chest too. Even Frank Sinatra, the dog, has a guilty air about him.
This summer, change is in the air for the Whitethorns…

A man walks out, he goes missing and yet none of his family seem that bothered, he left a note so it was definitely voluntary.  His wife doesn't seem to bothered, his children are a bit more worried, but even so there is a lack of urgency about finding him, even though no one has heard from him at all. 

This is the story of the Whitethorn's family who I feel are a lot better for Graham walking away than they had been before. 

As the book progresses we see all sorts of secrets come out,  huge amounts of character development, especially for Stella and Amy,  We also discover just what sort of a man Graham is, as well as discovering every last thing about this family. 

They are complex, they are real, you probably know people like some of them.  It is a very good story about how a family reacts when something unexpected happens. 

When I was able to read for a while uninterrupted I was utterly gripped, and was eager to see what happened, but yet the book wasn't calling me back to it when I wasn't reading.  Which is a shame, but could just be me, as I can't really fault anything about the story itself. 

A really enjoyable story and I feel awful that I left it languishing on my kindle unread for as long as I did, given how much I tend to enjoy this author. 

Thank you to Netgalley and HQ for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...