Tuesday 9 April 2019

Book Review - When I Find You by Emma Curtis

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: When I find You
Author: Emma Curtis
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Transworld Digital
Publication Date: 1st July 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


What do you do when someone takes advantage of your greatest weakness?

When Laura wakes up after her office Christmas party and sees a man’s shirt on the floor, she is horrified. But this is no ordinary one-night-stand regret.

Laura suffers from severe face-blindness, a condition that means she is completely unable to identify and remember faces. So the man she spent all night dancing with and kissing – the man she thought she’d brought home – was ‘Pink Shirt’.

But the shirt on her floor is blue.

And now Laura must go to work every day, and face the man who took advantage of her condition. The man she has no way of recognising.

She doesn’t know who he is . . . but when she finds him she’ll make him pay.

Utterly fascinating, believe it or not for a psychological thriller, I feel as though I have come out of this book a lot smarter than when I went into it. 

Or at least I have a far better understanding of face blindness - and what a severe sufferer of it would be going through, such as Laura our main character. 

Laura can't recognise faces at all, she can't typically even recognise her own mother, let alone whether the man she had been dancing with at a Christmas party, is the same one she goes home with.  She uses other distinguishing features about a person - and is absolutely horrified when her pink shirted dance partner turns into a blue shirted man she had sex with. 

Now this is where it gets tricky, as it was consensual, she just didn't realise at the time due to the condition that it wasn't the man she thought she was consenting too - which is absolutely terrifying. 

What Laura is sure of is that she won't let whoever it is get away with it - so long as she can work out just who she was in bed with. 

So we have Laura's story and running alongside it, Rebecca's.  Rebecca is Laura's boss and doesn't seem like the nicest of women. Her story isn't as compelling but still interesting to read, especially as you get to see some things from multiple perspectives. 

Whenever I wasn't reading this, it was playing on my mind. which is the sign of a good book, and the last I'm not sure how much it was, but I couldn't put it down. I was completely engrossed and hooked on just how everything would resolve itself. 

This is the second book I've now read from Emma Curtis and I'm already eager to see what her next will be. Clearly my love of her first wasn't a fluke and she is now definitely an author I want to keep reading. 

Thank you to Transworld and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Amazing idea for a book- you make it sound so compelling1

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...