Friday 6 September 2019

Book Review - Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howad

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Rewind
Author: Catherine Ryan Howard
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Corvus
Publication Date:  5th September 2019
Rating: 4 Stars


PLAY
Andrew, the manager of Shanamore Holiday Cottages, watches his only guest via a hidden camera in her room. One night the unthinkable happens: a shadowy figure emerges onscreen, kills her and destroys the camera. But who is the murderer? How did they know about the camera? And how will Andrew live with himself?

PAUSE
Natalie wishes she'd stayed at home as soon as she arrives in the wintry isolation of Shanamore. There's something creepy about the manager. She wants to leave, but she can't - not until she's found what she's looking for...

REWIND
Psycho meets Fatal Attraction in this explosive story about a murder caught on camera. You've already missed the start. To get the full picture you must rewind the tape and play it through to the end, no matter how shocking...

Well I had absolutely no idea who the murderer was until it was revealed.  I also spent a fair part of the book mildly confused about the time frame of everything. 

I got that the the time was jumping about as though you were watching a video, but with chapter headings that were in minutes... and then some of the earlier sections being years before everything else. while reading on kindle which admitted makes flicking back and forth a bit harder to try to understand - I was muddled on the time span, time frames. 

That being said once I focused on the words I was incredibly interested in the murder, and all of the motives which is what I couldn't work out. 

There was a focus on many unsavoury characters, and small snippets of info coming out at regular intervals to really keep you on your toes, and make you continually re-evaluate your own guesses. 

I've certainly not read anything like it which is both a big positive, its different, its unique, but equally as thi isn't the genre I read the  most of, perhaps I didn't fully appreciate just how it was present. 

The story though is great, the writing certainly had me gripped, and Catherine Ryan Howard has had me hooked in places,  and the premise behind the book was fabulous. 

Certainly a book that I feel works best if you are tempted by it, to read for yourself without too much known about the plot.  There are a large number of characters and to even try to describe them, I may give out hints that I would rather not, for fear of spoils 

Thank you to Corvus and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...