Friday 13 September 2019

Book Review - The Windmill Cafe by Poppy Blake

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Windmill Cafe
Author: Poppy Blake
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: One More Chapter 
Publication Date: 20th September 2018
Rating: 4 Stars


Seasons come and go, but the peppermint green sails of the Windmill Café will keep on turning.

Escaping the bustle and heartbreak of her old life in the city, Rosie Barnes can’t believe that her dream of setting up a café has come true. Whether it’s her chilled homemade lemonade, sticky chocolate brownies or warming mince pies, Rosie’s café draws guests in from far and wide, and the folk of Willerby can enjoy it come rain or shine.

But some mysterious events soon threaten the picturesque town she now calls home, and with the help of ruggedly handsome local Matt Wilson, she must find out what’s going on before the reputation of the town – and her beloved café – are ruined.

From the scorching summer sun through to the crisp winter frosts, Rosie is in for a year she’ll never forget…

The Windmill Cafe is the combined book of the first three books of this series, Summer Breeze, Autumn Leavea and Christmas Trees, and I must say that I thought they got better and better as the series progressed. 

I didn't predict the outcome of any of the three cosy mysteries, but it was the one in Christmas Trees that shocked met he most and had me utterly hooked while I tried to work out who the culprit was before the police and our amateur detectives Rosie and Matt.  

I have to admit to having a ridiculous strong feeling of deja vu throughout reading Summer Breeze,  it may just be because of the nature of the crime, but I had the strangest feeling I had read the book somewhere before and that feeling didn't leave me until I started on book 2 - Autumn Leaves.  

 I've never had that sensation for so long ever while reading, and its still bugging me that I can't put my finger on it, but I'm going to put it down to Poppy Blake having such lovely and familiar writing style, that just drew me in, that I felt instantly at home with the book. 

I loved getting to know Rosie, Mia, Matt and Freddie our four main characters, and the stars of The Windmill Cafe and the outdoor adventure centre in Willerby.   Willerby sounded like a lovely place to live, and I enjoyed getting to know it, even if it is a town that seems to attract mysteries!! 

All of the mysteries had really original ideas for the nature of how someone got hurt, ones that I have only rarely come across if ever before.   And the seasonal elements of each book were fabulous.  I especially loved the Christmas Tree decorating competition, such inventive designs. 

I really enjoyed my stay at the Windmill Cafe, and look forward to reading more from this author in the future. 

Thank you to Netgalley and One More Chapter for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...