Wednesday 10 March 2021

Book Review - Friends With Benefits by Lisa Swift

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: Friends With Benefits
Author: Lisa Swfit
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Publisher supplied copy
Publisher: Hera Books
Publication Date: 3rd February 2021
Rating: 5 Stars

Could Mr Right-Now actually be Mr Right?

Lexie Whittle thought she had life all sewn up, with a gorgeous husband, a beautiful home and a delightful teenage stepson. Until husband Daryl left to work overseas…and everything changed.
A year later, Daryl and Lexie’s marriage is over. Lexie is fighting to stay on top of the bills, juggling her job at the Blue Parrot 1940s cafe in Leyholme with being mum and dad to Connor in Daryl’s absence.

The only thing keeping her from meltdown is the support she gets from Connor’s godfather: Theo Blake, Daryl’s former business partner. Theo might be a jack-the-lad, drifting from one woman to another, but Lexie knows she and Connor can depend on him.

After one too many glasses of wine leads to them falling into bed together, Lexie and Theo begin a friends-with-benefits relationship. What starts as just sex soon becomes something deeper.

But when Daryl returns, Lexie is faced with an impossible decision. Will she be forced to choose between her feelings for Theo and the boy she loves as a son?

Readers can't get enough of Lisa Swift's utterly uplifting, heartwarming romcoms!

Where do I start with this book.. 

... I mean we have one of the best teenage boy characters I've read in a long time, who is mature beyond his years in some ways, but equally rather young in other ways. 

... There is a friends with benefits agreement between two best friends - which just happens to be the step mum and god father of Connor (his father is in Japan, the separation is working towards divorce and Lexie is in sole charge of Connor at the moment).

... Daryl is a nightmare when he features but even he shows some signs of growth

... There is a 40s themed restaurant, although I'm glad that didn't feature too much

... Connor and his friends are all proud geeks, and I think this may be the first time I've ever seen any mention of MTG in a book, let alone where the characters want to play it. There are comic-cons, cosplay, mentions of D&D, various video games , in addition to classic sci-fi and comedy such as Red Dwarf and Monty Python. 

What can I say it really appealed to my inner geek even if I'm not keen on some of the specifics I loved how it was all being portrayed amongst Connor's friends. 

There is just so much to love with this story, its fabulous. It goes through various phases or so it feels like, as the characters lives ebb and flow, and as much as I was rooting for Lexie and Theo, it was Connor who captured my imagination.  

I don't want to go into just what he is dealing with, but its all dealt with sensitively by the author and I just wanted to reach out and hug him many times. 

I just really really loved this book. 

Thank you to Hera Books for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...