Wednesday 24 March 2021

Book Review - My One True North by Milly Johnson

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: My One True North
Author: Milly Johnson
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication Date: 5th March 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

Laurie and Pete should never have met.
But fate has pushed them together for a reason.
 
Six months ago, on the same night, Laurie and Pete both lost their partners.
Struggling to manage the grief, they join the same counselling group – and meet each other.
 
From their sadness, Pete and Laurie find happiness growing and they sense a fresh new beginning. 
Except, the more they talk, the more they begin to spot the strange parallels in their stories.
Then Pete discovers a truth that changes everything.
 
But, as surely as a compass points north, some people cannot be kept apart.
 
My One True North is a story of friendship and what love means, of secrets uncovered, teashops on corners and the northern lights.

As a massive fan of Milly Johnson, I can't quite put into words how happy  I was to see her recurring newspaper the Daily Trumpet had made a re-appearance.  I knew no matter what else was between the covers, that there would be hilarity! 

And the small Daily Trumpet snippets almost every time had my snorting with laughter out loud, they are the funniest they have ever been and added much appreciated levity to the story. 

Especially as the story itself is about two people who are struggling with grief.   And although I was sure I had figured something out quite early on, I wasn't quite right although it was hinted at more strongly a bit further on, which pointed me in the right direction but there were still gasp out loud moment s that I hadn't guessed. 

Laurie and Pete, are mourning the deaths of Alex and Tara their almost fiancee and not known until afterward pregnant wife.  Both died in car accidents, and both are recommended the same small support group, set in the Cafe of one of Millie's previous books, which is where they meet. 

Both have unanswered questions about their deceased loved ones and the are a multitude of parallels in their stories which we are given alternatingly. 

Through the way the story is revealed, we get to know their friends and families rather well, in addition to family members of the dearly departed ones families.  There are all manner of topics covered in this, both in Laurie and Pete's stories. 

I also enjoyed Molly's support group meetings, and the other people in attendance, of whom we also get to know quite well, and spend an enjoyable amount of time with. Oh and there are even moments in this book which has a cynic like me almost believing in the impossible! 

Actually there is just a tremendous amount packed into this story, which really is an uplifting read. It is Milly Johnson as her very best, and is a standout book.  I was hooked rather quickly and couldn't turn the pages fast enough. 

Thank you to Simon and Schuster and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...