Thursday 19 August 2021

Book Review - The Happy Family by Jackie Kabler

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Happy Family
Author: Jackie Kabler
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: One More Chapter
Publication Date: 4th June 2021
Rating: 5 Stars

My family has just been reunited. So who is trying to tear it apart?
A mother who disappeared… 
When Beth was 10 years old, her beautiful, wild mother Alice walked out and never came back. Beth’s life since hasn’t always been smooth sailing, but now she is happy and settled, with a successful career, a loving family and a beautiful home. 
 
An unexpected visitor…
Then one day there’s a knock at the door. Alice has returned. Overjoyed to have the chance to rebuild their relationship, Beth invites her mother to move in.
 
A life that comes crashing down…
At first, everything seems wonderful. But then Beth’s friends begin to drift away, strange things start to happen at home, and rumours begin to circle about her past. As the mysterious events around Beth become darker and more dangerous, she is forced to question everything. Is somebody in her life trying to destroy her happiness? And how far will they go?

Well you know a book is pretty amazing when you actually exclaim WTAF in full out loud at a key moment. Thankfully no one was around and I didn't have to explain, but once again Jackie Kabler has managed to keep me on my toes throughout. 

I think at times I had thought about various of the outcomes and my mind flitted on most of the truths, but I couldn't quite figure out the specifics and I was still very shocked as everything is revealed. 

But the journey to get there was utterly addicting, kept me on my toes and had me feeling rather creepy at times, with some of what Beth was experiencing. 

This is a book that starts of relatively gently all things considered, but before long it all ramps up, and events become a lot darker, a bit sinister and although you may like me have some theories, as to what is going on, I would suggest you won't be able to predict the exact nature of how everything occurs and all the consequences. 

And then there are other twists that through me completely and well I just love a book that keeps me on my toes. 

The blurb tells you everything you need to know about the plot, anything I would add would definitely be counted as spoilers which I avoid, and it really does cover the key points and had me intrigued to read at any rate. 

What is though fast becoming rather apparent is just amazingly talented Jackie Kabler is. I really enjoyed her cozy mysteries, but since she has started writing psychological thrillers well her skill, storytelling and well the dark twisted part of her mind are just superb and seem to be getting more and more impressive by the book, and they started at a high level! 

I couldn't get enough of The Happy Family, loved the characterisation, writing, and just everything about it.  

Thank you to One More Chapter and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...